1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Impact Wrench question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by troberts, Jan 7, 2003.

1. troberts

troberts LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

A while back, people on the forum were mentioning that they were using an impact wrench to remove blades.

I have an eXmark metro 48 WB (3 blades), and am wanting to use an impact wrench to remove the blades. I just got a compressor and wrench.

How is this done? Do you just put it on the top bolt, and hit it, or do you need to imobilize the blade first?

Do you guys use the wrench to tighten them also?

Sorry to sound stupid, but I've never used one before. Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated.

2. Heller Landscaping

Heller Landscaping LawnSite Member

Hold the spindel with your foot while loosen it. The wrench does the work not you, and yes you can use it to install the blades. DO NOT BY ANY MEANS HOLD THE BLADE WITH ANY PART OF YOUR BODY.
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I don't hold anything when I use the impact. It hammers it right off anuways. When putting the blades back on, always start them by hand, then apply the impact again and you're all set. ;)
  4. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

Get the biggest gun you can afford. Eventually you will hit a stump or the curve and jamb one blade so tight you'll need all the power possible.

I got a Husky from Home Depot for about $30.00 should have gotten a bigger one. It'll handle everyday stuff, just not jambs like I described above.

They make a really cool sound too!

5. ple_1969

ple_1969 LawnSite Member

Fire up the compressor and let it get to about 100 – 120 PSI. Then just put the impact wrench on the nut and pull the trigger. That’s all you have to do.

6. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Sometimes when I run doubles I will get them too tight and need to put wrench on bottom. But not usually. Mostly just hammer from top.

7. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

osent the gun just turn the bolt?
  8. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Rather then start a new thread for this, I'll just put it here since it's related.

Anyone using a torque wrench after putting thier blades back on to see that they have them right (not loose or too tight)?.
    Just wondering, thanks.
  9. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I've got a compressor, but I don't have any air tools. How do you set the torque on impact guns?
  10. grasskeeper

grasskeeper LawnSite Member

i was doing some work on my mower today and had removed the baldes. I put them back on with the impact wrench set at 100psi. when I check with the torque wrench it was too loose. I'm glad I checked. I usually tighten the blades to about 75 to 80 foot pounds. I guess another couple of psi on the compressor and It would have been perfect. The impact wrench and compressor were the best things I ever bought. No more bloody knuckles from slipping with the sockets.