Impact Wrench, Torque Needed?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by nmhorns, Jul 21, 2004.

1. nmhorns

nmhorns LawnSite Member

Anyone have any idea how much torque I would need to get off my blades on a 48" walk behind. They are on there very tight and cant be removed with a breaker bar, and cheater pole.

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I have no idea how much torque it will take to remove them but can tell you there on way to tight. There's no need to use a cheater bar to tighten blades bolts. You might need to use alot of penetrating oil and a hot metal wrench to loosen them, good luck!

Mac

3. nmhorns

nmhorns LawnSite Member

how should I apply the oil to the bolts? and should i just heat them up with heat gun?

4. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

A heat gun is not going to get hot enough you will need a propane tourch or some like that. Now this may be a dumb question but are you sure you are turning them the right way. It is easy to get mixed up working upside down. Check your owners manual and it should tell you the Torque Needed and if you do not have the manual tell every one what it is and some one may just have one like it. Good luck.

5. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

Also some blade bolts are left hand thread...

6. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Most blade bolts must be torqued to 120 #. A blade not tightened properly will take up to 300# to remove.

7. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Cut the heads off with a side grinder then you can remove the bolts with your fingers.

Oldtimer

8. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

I've rarely had this technique fail - Jam a 2x4 or other piece of wood underneath the mower so when the blade turns, it turns against the wood and locks it up against the baffles. Rotate the blade so it's against the wood. Then take a 1/2" drive ratchet with socket and get a steel pipe (like and old fence post from a cyclone fence). Slip the pipe over the end of the wrench (like a huge breaker bar). The leverage and torque you can create from this breaker bar will break your wrench before it fails to bust a nut loose.
    Hint: If the bolt slips against the blade, you'll have to get another wrench and find a way to "lock"/jam that wrench up underneath the mower. I haven't had this technique fail for years. Good luck.

9. southerngroundscare

southerngroundscare LawnSite Member

Just throw the impact to it and be done. Use the hiqh torque setting...if that doesn't work it's not coming off.