1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Impact Wrench?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MOturkey, May 28, 2006.

1. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

I'm wanting to purchase an electric impact wrench for blade changes, and was wondering how much torque I need? Any advice on whether to purchase a rechargeable or corded?

Just did a little online browsing, and Sears has a Craftsman 18 volt rechargeable, 1/2 drive, but it only has 180 pounds maximum torque, and being ignorant of such things, didn't know if this was adequate, while a corded DeWalt, although less money, has a maximum of 325 lbs of torque. Portability would be nice, but not totally necessary, as I could always do the occasional in-the-field change the old fashioned way.

Thanks for your input. Neill
  2. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Dewalt all the way....with 15/16 socket. That is all you need.
  3. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

Check your manual...That seems like a hell of alot of torque to me
  4. Lumberjack

Lumberjack LawnSite Member

corded models always have more power output simply because they have an unlimited supply of electicity to draw from....
  5. sicklid

sicklid LawnSite Member

Check your manual. For example a hustler mini-z asks for 118 ft pounds of torque. Personally I use an impact for taking them off only and a torque wrench to put them on.
  6. LandscapeMasterpieceGA

LandscapeMasterpieceGA LawnSite Member

NEVER put it back on w/ the impact. Good advice.
  7. deereman

deereman LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

Yes you can put them with way to much torque. Our Deere mowers call for 90ft. pounds.
  8. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks for the input, guys. I realized that was more than enough torque installing blades, but didn't know how much was required to loosen a torqued bolt. Also, I appreciate the advice on not installing with the impact. Do any of them have some type of control so you can set the pounds of torque and use them for tightening as well?

Sorry to sound so ignorant, but I am, about power tools, at least. :)
  9. deereman

deereman LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

We do install our blades with our impact............but ever so gently. We have never had a prob yet. Knock on wood!
  10. Cahsking

Cahsking LawnSite Member

Deereman, what kind of mowers you got?