1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

impact wrench

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by mas, Aug 18, 2007.

1. mas

mas LawnSite Member

How much ft of torque would you need to switch blades on a skidsteer bucket? would it be possible to use a 36v cordless dewalt?

2. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

Do you mean bolt on cutting edge? If so it will depend on how bad the bolts are. Mine gets the plasma or torch because the threads are so rusted up.
  3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, it completely depends. A Dewalt 36V cordless impact puts down 325 foot/lbs, that's nothing to laugh at, so if that wrench doesn't get it there isn't much else that will.
  4. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

At one of the pits I worked at we used electric Makita impact wrenches but they were 110 volt plug in not battery power.

Nothing removes nuts and bolts faster than a gas axle. You should have lots of weasel pizz to soak the nuts to help break them free.

A breaker bar with the proper sized socket will help then use the impact to loosen the rest of the way.
  5. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

If the edge was installed with a pneumatic impact, which it probably was, an electric impact won't budge it.

More times than not, you'll have a bolt or two that is too boogered up for the nut to spin off. I usually end up having to torch them. I've got an pneumatic IR Titanium 1/2" impact that I use. It has 1,000lbs. of breakout force, which is much more than most 3/4" impacts. Some of the bolts can be a bear even for that.

If the edge was installed with a wrachet or electric impact, you may be all right. You could try to use a big cheater bar to break them, and then use your electric impact the rest of the way.
  6. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Nothing says "remove me easy" other than a torch.
  7. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

torch, if the edge needs replacing so do the bolts they will probablly ring off anyway