Impact wrench

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jimmy348, Jun 4, 2003.

1. Jimmy348

Jimmy348 LawnSite Member

Looking for a decent impact wrench for removing blades on my Lazer HP. Also ideas on how I could accomplish such a feat (ramps, jack, whatever). Already have a compressor and looked at some tonight at Sears and found the low at $80 and the high at $200 1/2". Just how much torque will be needed and how much of an investment should I make for limited usage.

2. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I bought an Ingersol-Rand Thundergun recently on Ebay through Sears. It has no problems busting stuff loose. They have had them on there for the past couple of months or so. They are dutch auctions, 5 at a time. I have seen them go for a low of about $105 to a high of about $135. I paid somewhere right in the middle. Most places get about $200 or more for it. Pretty wild sounding gun too :cool:

Edit: I just searched Ebay and found Sears has one on auction right now. Not their normal 5 unit dutch auction. I don't know how to take that. Maybe they have about sold all of them or maybe they are just trying to make more money. Current one is at $158, still quite a bit cheaper than most places.

3. Lawn-N-Garden Guy

Lawn-N-Garden Guy LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a Campbell Hausfeild Air Tool kit for like 70 bucks a few yrs ago at Sam's Club and it works just fine.
    I also carry a electric impact with me that plugs into a cig. lighter for those unexpected blade changes.

4. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

I have seen whole kits (impact, wrench, drill, chisel) at BJ's, Sam's, Price Club... etc. for like $75.00 for everything. I picked up a couple to keep in out trucks with airbrakes. Works just fine. :cool:

5. LA LAWNS

LA LAWNS LawnSite Member

I HAVE A CRAPSMAN AIR GUN FROM SEARS AND IT WORKS JUST FINE. PAID AROUND 90 TO 100 BUCKS. 3 SPEED AND 1 REVERSE.
    CANT REALLY GO WRONG WITH A CRAFTSMAN HAND TOOL...
    LA LAWNS

6. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

Cruz the pawn shops. I picked a nice one up last year for $50 looked brand new was a crapsman

7. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

Mine was from Lowe's for under $30. I've had it about 2 years, use it several times a week, and no problems. You could also look at Northern Tool or Harbor Freight.

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Makita 6911HD rechargable and a Junglejack. It doesn't get any better or faster than this.;)

9. TaussigLawnCare

TaussigLawnCare LawnSite Member

I have a cheap one and I hate it cause when I hit something and bend a blade or something I can't get it off and have to take it to the shop.

10. Frosty_03

Frosty_03 LawnSite Senior Member

Jim
    I too have a Craftman and it does a good job, also invest in a Jungle Jim Jack It save you from riding on the side of your ramps. It takes me about 2 minuts to change all three blades on my Lazer Z. As far as tighting I set my impact on 2 and it does just fine, haven't had a blade come off me yet. Good Luck and GOD SPEED!!!!:cool: