Impact Wrench

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by nmhorns, Jul 20, 2004.

1. nmhorns

nmhorns LawnSite Member

Anyone know how much a good impact wrench will cost?

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

air or electric or battery

3. Mikes Machines

Mikes Machines LawnSite Member

There are many brands in many price ranges. Usually the price is proportional to the torque produced. I dont think you could go wrong with Ingersol Rand ( IR ) I have one that is 26 years old and still going strong. You will pay about $250.00 to $300.00 for one with around 400 lbs ft of torque. This is plenty for most equipment in the lawn bussiness. If you plan on working on earthmovers or semis you will need more.

4. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Mikes right on the prices. Of course, you'll also need an air compressor, sockets...

5. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

IR is a good brand for compressor models. I've got one of the newer Titanium ones in the shop. Gotta be careful of that 1000 lbs. of nut busting torque though.. have already had to drill out a couple bolts that simply didn't feel like going from 0-4000 RPMs all at once. Always match the torque to the job.

6. nmhorns

nmhorns LawnSite Member

will electric or battery wrenches produce enough torque to undo the bolts holding the blades on a lesco 48?

7. rockytopp

rockytopp LawnSite Member

I use a makita cordless impact for most things on pushers and riders. I will take all but the most stubburn, then I switch to air. It cost right at two hundred with two batteries. they recharge inabout an hour and it is light but strong.
    IR is a good unit also I have chicago newmatic that is good for a cheap gun. Oh yes the makita will tighten all a three eights bolt needs. and it will hold a blad on most decks safely.

8. rockytopp

rockytopp LawnSite Member

I use a makita cordless impact for most things on pushers and riders. I will take all but the most stubburn, then I switch to air. It cost right at two hundred with two batteries. they recharge inabout an hour and it is light but strong.
    IR is a good unit also I have chicago newmatic that is good for a cheap gun. Oh yes the makita will tighten all a three eights bolt needs. and it will hold a blade on most decks safely. I have not had one come loose after tightning, I have twisted some off useing it.

9. gvandora

gvandora LawnSite Member

A 1/2 socket with a breaker bar plus a box wrench will take off damn near anything on the lesco 48.

10. TOOLMANonline

TOOLMANonline LawnSite Member

DeWalt has a new cordless Impact out with 300 ft/lbs of torque. It's the DW059K-2. I have sold them to a ton of local guys for blade changing and they have been working great. They run $287.