Impact wrenches for the road AND SHOP

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jimbo, Jan 2, 2003.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Just wanted to let you guys know that I recently used an 18v electric impact wrench made by Snap-on and that thing is awesome!

I bought a new place last April, and I am working on outfitting the garage (was too busy last summer). I was thinking about plumbing the whole place, and debating over single stage or two stage compressors. The total cost for a compressor, impact gun, air-lines, electrical service, etc would be somewhere around $600-1000.
    Both my Father and Brother are master Mechanics, and I was able to borrow a new Snap-on 18-volt impact gun to use for a few days. I was so impressed that I have decided to spend the money, and buy one for the business. I can use this in the shop or take it along on the road.

If you are in the same boat as me I would seriously consider it. The only draw-back is if you need a compressor for other things such as sand-blasting, die-grinding, cut-off saw, etc.

I basically just change tires, and mower blades so it is great for me. The Snap-on runs about $400.00. I did see a Makita 24-volt in the local ads but it did not have a price.

Good Luck
  2. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

also check out the PAWN shops for stuff like this . I myself just picked up a real nice air impact for $65.00
  3. SIG

SIG LawnSite Member

The Panasonic EY6535 is supposed to be as nice as the snap-on. Not 400.00 either!!

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

I have seen an electric impact wrench. Used it too , my school has one in its shop and it works quite well.. You cant take it on the road, but for the shop its' good, no compressor, and its' under $200. I think..... A friend of mine is a mechinic and has the snap on cordless, that thing is impressive, but so is the price..
  5. HarryD

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Last summer, I bought a brand new Makita 14.4 cordless impact wrench for $185 and free shipping.

That thing is more having to worry about slicing my wrists wide open when changing blades out. Best investment I have made in years.
  7. Jimbo

Thanks for the info on the other brands. I will most likely purchase a Snap-on because with the quantity of tools my family purchases there will be no problem getting warranty service for a very long time.

I already own one of those corded impact wrenches, but it doesnt seem to be very strong. With the Snap-on model I thought I was using a pnumatic unit. Its that strong!!

8. Jimbo

I see the Panasonic listed as 15.6 volts, 91ft lbs torque (in impact mode). $300.00 (Its actually listed in Inch lbs but just divide by 12)

The Snap-on is 18 volts, 210ft lbs torque (impact mode). $420.00

I dont think they are comparable at all since the Snap-on is more than twice as strong. I just did the research after going to the link HarryD posted, and visiting the Snap-On website.

9. HarryD

10. phild

phild LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I recently purchased an impact wrench that plugs into a vehicles cigarette lighter. I'm sure it's not as top notch as a snap on, but I am having a lot easier time with blade changes. I paid under $20 and so far there isn't anything that I haven't been able to break loose with it. Just something to think about!