Impact wrenches

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dave G, Jul 9, 2004.

1. Dave G

Dave G LawnSite Member

I hear guys talk about using impact wrenches to take their blades on and off. How important is it to use one?

Up until now I have just been using a half inch drive ratchet and socket.

2. WoodBrothersLC

WoodBrothersLC LawnSite Senior Member

Impacts make it easier to get the blades on and off, it is a very good investment if you have more than one mower and need to sharpen them often, We can get blades off a 48" mower in less than 20 seconds.

Joe Wood
    Wood Brothers Lawn Care

3. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Its not necessary to use an impact wrench, just makes it easier and faster. Only problem with them is it is hard to take the blades off manually after they have been put on with an impact wrench. So if you are on a lawn and get tangled around a dog chain or something you may not be able to get the blades off (has happened to me anyway)

A decent impact wrench will cost $150-$200, plus the air compressor ($200 and up, depending on capacity)

4. Ray&Christine

Ray&Christine LawnSite Member

I bought an electric impact gun last year. It speeds blade removal up. When I re-install the blade I put it on part way with the impact gun then tighten it up with a torque wrench.

5. matthew horner

matthew horner LawnSite Senior Member

i bought a 14v cordless dewalt 1/2 inch drive off of ebay new for 200 and it is GREAT.

Matt

6. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Does anybody make an impact gun that allows you to "dial-in" your desired torque setting?

7. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Not neccesary at all IMO. I change blades with a simple ratchet. Hanger bolts get a touch of "never seize". Easy on, easy off. I do not use blade blockers or any other gizmo to hold the blades. Just my hand. After many many years in this biz. I have yet to have a mower throw a blade.

8. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

**********IMPACT WRENCH WARNING**********
    If you have a machine like a Walker that has a gear box using an impact wrench to REMOVE the blade is OK. But for putting the blade back on not so good. For one thing with Walker mowers the blade has to be set at 65 FT/LBS for the shear bolts to work right but more of a problem is I have seen a number of Walker gear boxes broke because an impact wrench was used to put the blade back on. What happens is when the nut is tighten up then the impact force travels up in to the gears which can mean broke gears. I work in a Walker Dealer ship and know this first hand. Walker is the only machine that I know of off hand that has blades bolted to a gear box but I feel sure it is not the only one there is. Just remember, Impact Wrenches and gear boxes do not mix.

9. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Toro 355 also has gear boxes. Good advice concerning mowers with gears instead of belts. Impact wrenches are for frozen bolts....not lawn mower blades.

10. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

yeah a nasty skank wench can impact you!:)