Impact wrenchs... air powered only?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TROTTMAN, Jun 16, 2005.

TROTTMAN LawnSite Senior Member

I am trying to remove my blades from my WB myself today (just got 3 sets of blades in) and I am having a little trouble. I normally don't do this myself, I have a friend with an air compressor and impact wrench that is powered by the compressor.

Anyway, he is busy today and I think I should be able to do very routine maintenance like this myself! I tried to use this giant cressant wrench and it with no luck at all. It, of course, just wanted to turn the blades so I had one foot on the blade and the other foot on the wrench and still no luck.

So, my question is... Do they make impact wrenches that are electric? I can't really afford to buy an air compressor, but if they have electric elcheapo versions that will get the blades off and on then that would suffice.

Also, what are my other options? I don't care what tool is used, I just want a way to get the blades off and back on, I won't be using the wrench for anything else. Thanks for any ideas!
  2. WoodBrothersLC

WoodBrothersLC LawnSite Senior Member

We use an electric for our walkbehinds and Stander and they work just fine. Hope that helps!
  3. RichmondR

RichmondR LawnSite Member

You just dont have enough leverage with a crescent wrench. I use an 18" breaker bar (mine's from Sears) -- about $15-20, I think, with the right size of socket on the end (the smooth kind of socket that touches the entire surface of the bolt on all sides). A breaker bar will give you a bit more distance between the tool and the blade and are built just for this type of application.

I use that on the three blades on my 52" Toro Z-master, and the bolts come off easily, even for a weakling like me. It also allows me to apply sufficient torque to tighten them down again.

Hope this helps
  4. RichmondR

RichmondR LawnSite Member

By the way, it helps to have an angled piece of wood to stop the blade from moving around while while you are loosening it up. Otherwise, you are probably goingto be fighting against the sharpened edge of the blade.
  5. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

Yes, electric elcheapos are out there in places like harbor freight or a twelve volt version. However, look at the foot lbs of torque they put out vs. even the cheap air tools, just so that you know what you are buying =)
  6. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

I have a giant crescent wrench and a 1/2" drive torque wrench. I put the crescent wrench underneath and position it so that the handle is up against one of the baffles and won't turn, then I get the torque wrench on the top side and start cranking. The torque wrench has a long enough handle to give me all the leverage I need.

If you get an impact wrench, you might want some of these to control the torque.
  7. Gibs

Gibs LawnSite Member
    from canada

i just purchased 2 new sets of blades for my 44" w/b and cost something like 120$.. one was a normal set and the other mulching.. how much do you pay for yours?
  8. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

Sears has a nice electric one that I have and it has great torque.
  9. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

The concern is too much torque, not too little. The torque sticks allow you to limit the torque to a specific amount.
  10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

On all our Scags and Snapper you can use two 1/2 socket wrenches with the 15/16" socket heads. You can get them plenty tight and obviously you can get them back off in the field for blade change when necessary.