1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Impaled by line trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jocko1104, Feb 1, 2003.

1. jocko1104

jocko1104 LawnSite Member

Sometimes line trimming feels like raiding Normandy beach.

Is there a way to surpress the debris coming from the business end of a trimmer. I can only imagine the injuries that have occured.

When i see larger firms on the highways the never have a guard on the trimmer, does that help?
  2. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

No I dont think no guard does any help it just makes the end lighter...and edging with it you can see the line better. But I have gotten hit in the head with rocks due to no guard. My old buddy had a trip to the hospital due to running no guard...back when they used to use wire for bailing straw & pine needle bails he hit one of those peices of wire that was laying under a shrub...it was rusty to. It swung around the head and nailed him in the leg going all the way to the bone and wraping itsself around his bone in the lower leg and a small peice worked its way into the bone. 2 operations to take care of that problem its not worth it they put the guard there for a reason if it breaks off put a new one on.
  3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

knowing how to trim and knowing the machine u are using,would be the best way to be safer..no excuse for not wearing safety glasses tho.see it all the time.
  4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

If you have a straight shaft trimmer, then the debris shoots out towards the left. Angle the head so the debris doesn't hit you. I can control most of the clippings ,but not all. Also, its not aways nessesary to run the trimmer at full speed.
  5. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Most all 2-cycle equipment are built to run full throttle...thats just a design characteristic but thats off subject.
  6. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

I keep the guards on.

One time I launched a pebble with the string trimmer and blasted out the rear window to my truck! It was in a million pieces!

That sucked.
  7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Yup, I agree totally. The angle that you are holding it makes a big difference.
  8. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

I think you have more control over the direction of debris with the guard off. When ever I get a new trimmer I run it for a week or so with the guard still on. I don't get hit as often by stuff but I seem to hit other stuff, houses etc. With the gaurd off I can control the direction stuff flies alot better.

Most comercial trimmers spin counter clockwise so debris flies toward you if you are timming with the left side of the trimmer. Away from you if you use the right side. To the left when using the front and to the right when using the back. With the gard on evertything flies to the front left and there isn't much choice about it.

The other thing I like about not using the gaurd is it forces you and your employees to becarefull about what you are doing. I've passed guys trimming the curb and they have pelted my truck with rocks, i guess they figure they don't care as long as it's not them.
  9. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I had no gaurd once I said #$@$ $$@#@ and it really hurt It hurt even more when I looked down and blood everywhere.

Always use your guard it can save ur life.
  10. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Grass dont hurt,

so stop hitting the debris.