Impeller on Billgoat leaf vac ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bunton Guy, Sep 2, 2002.

1. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone priced one of these ? 16hp truckloader. My impeller looks very good hardly any damage....I had one property that I had to vac the leaves off of the gravel and boy did that make me POED cuz all you hear is gravel slamming around in the housing . Wonder what types of things really do damage the impeller ? Large sticks ? gravel, rocks , glass ?

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I ordered a 16hp billy goat htr a few weeks ago and it is coming in next week. I chose it over the giant vac, because of the tailgate mount it has. I got it for $2650 with an extra chute extension. I cant wait to pick it up, because its going to save me so much time this year. From using leaf loaders when i worked for other people, we sucked sticks and acorns through them all the time. I always seperated the large twigs but the little ones went right through with little damage to the impellar.

3. Bunton Guy

I would call my local repair shop to find the price on a impellar....but its closed for the holliday.

4. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Bunton- I've never run a BG, but have owned 2 Giant Vacs- one tailgate and one tow behind. I noticed some wear on both impellers but no difference in performance. We always tried to pick out the larger sticks, but small sticks, acorns, even a small amount of gravel and stones are hard to avoid, especially when it's getting dark and you need to finish that clean-up. I think you may not have to replace the impeller until it really gets worn out. This is going to be the fifth season for the tow-behind, which I bought used, and I've done nothing but the standard maintenance. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I am actually looking forward to the fall:dizzy: Mike

5. I use a w/b billy goat and worried about same thing. I have found its just noise and causes very little wear. I pick up rocks, sticks, flatened cans, hunks of glass-not on purpose, it never had any break downs in 9 years of use. I worry more about it shooting something through the bag at me.

One thing to watch for is working around mud, especially clays, it will stick to impeller blade and get out of balance. If it happens I just scape it if the feild and keep working, then wash at end of day.

6. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

hey mdb, which truck are you gonna use for that loader. don'y you only have a pick-up? just curious

7. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i have a 6 by 10 dual axle dump trailer that im putting a box on

8. I sucked up a pretty good size rock and bend a blade on my impeller on a Peco Vac, cost me $225 including S&H.

I would imagine about $400 for yours.

I wouldn't replace it untill it runs short on performance.

9. Bunton Guy

IMO performance is always short LOL Im always clogging up the intake hose and then I go to shake it to get the clog undone and then the end of the hose handle and such will fall off....I supose I need to add a few better clamps.