1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Importance of Blade speed?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Pher16, Jun 11, 2004.

1. Pher16

Pher16 LawnSite Member
    from CT

I am brand new to the forum and have been doing some browsing the past couple of weeks. I have a question for the pros on the importance of the Mower Blade Speed for WB mowers. Keep in mind this mower will be strictly for home owner use.

I am looking for a WB for my property which is about 1/2 acre and the mowers I am looking at; Better Quick36, and Exmark Metro 36", have a blade speed that ranges from 16,000 fpm (Quick36) to 18,500 fpm (Exmark Metro).

My main question is how much should the blade speed play in my decision on which mower to buy? Will one be a better cut or stronger cut due to the speed?

Secondly, which mower would be better suited to a home owner? The Belt drive Exmark, or the single pump hydro Quick36?

Thanks for all your help in advance, I am sure I will have more questions in the future.

2. mowhigh

mowhigh LawnSite Member
    from Dallas

I bought the Country Clipper Charger after demoing their smaller JAZee that easily handled my overgrown back section. Both have 19,000 fpm bts, so it certainly doesn't hurt. However, as a homeowner, you can easily compensate for speed by maintaining a sharp blade. Choose the model with the features and handling you want (always demo) and touch up your blades every now and then (even monthly would be great for most homeowners). Good luck!
  3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

I think either machine will serve a homeowner well,however since you asked................I would prefer the exmark because I am an exmark owner,the quick 36 is as yet somewhat unproven and I have no personal experience with it,but overall I believe on its face it would and should be a good homeowner mower.

Blade speed is important to cut quality,as well as deck configuration and depth,I know the depth of the exmark metro to be 5 inches deep but have no idea on the quick 36 because there is no info on their site detailing deck specs.

For my money it would be the exmark but I'm not just using on my own lawn. The cost difference between the 2 is 0$ to 500$ depending on the dealer and market prices in your area with the metro obviously being the higher priced. If you can swing a deal at 2000-2200 for the metro it isn't even a question in my book,however if you are budget conscious and cannot get the metro in that range the quick 36 may well be your choice.

Just some rambling for now..................
  4. Pher16

Pher16 LawnSite Member
    from CT

Thanks for the information guys. I kind of figured it had some signifigance. I guess a question I need answered is, if the differnece between 16000 fpm and 18500 fpm is going to be noticable or produce an inferrior cut?

Can a Briggs and Stratton perform as well as a Kohler or Kawasaki in the long run for a home owner?

Thanks again.
  5. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I don't know the answer to this question BUT, if you have the choice go with the higher blade tip speed.

6. mowhigh

mowhigh LawnSite Member
    from Dallas

The only B&S worth considering is the Vanguard (but it's still not a Kawasaki, Kohler or Robin-Subaru).