1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Importance of blade tip speed and deck depth?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by buckhtr77, Apr 23, 2008.

1. buckhtr77

buckhtr77 LawnSite Member

I'm in the research phase of purchasing a ZTR mower. I'll be mowing 2.5 acres of flat ground. I'm not looking to set speed records but want the cut to look the best I can make it look. That said, I've looked at mowers that are in the mid 18,000's for RPM's and today I was looking @ the specs for the Kubota ZG227 with 27 HP/54 Inch and the tip speed is 17,100. Is this something to fret over? Will I be able to tell cutting just 2.5 acres? Please shed some light on this for me?

I'd also like to ask about deck depth. I seen on some Scags it was 5.0 inches, Exmark 5.5 inches, and the Kubota 6.0 inches. Of what importance is the deck depth?

Thanks for the help.
  2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't get hung up over deck depth or tip speed, specifications are not a good way to pick out a ZTR though one may look better on paper. Take you time and do some research. What are the local LCO's running? Do you like the way they leave the lawn. Find lawns you like the cut on and find out what type ZTR cut it. It should be no problem driving around seeing what it being used in your area. Are your lawns very high quality Northern grasses? Kubota's are great ZTR's but they are not as popular as some others on Lawnsite. If your cutting in decent conditions an Exmark is hard to beat. I run my Scag more than my Exmark, but I'm not cutting flat ground in good conditions most of the time. Most top ZTR's have plenty of blade speed and deck volume. Even though my Scag Velocity Plus deck is shallower than an Exmark it will handle much more grass. It is not as deep but much longer which makes a difference. Watch the guys in your area and demo each one carefully under less than ideal conditions. Don't go only by the numbers and specs. See how they preform in the field.
  3. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I always thought the deeper decks and faster blade tip speed determined how much grass it could handle...
  4. Ford850

Ford850 LawnSite Member

Keep your blades sharp, your deck level with a slight rake front to back, and most mowers will do great for you.
  5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I guess you assume there are a lot of companies selling equipment that won't cut your grass:hammerhead: If you are that concerned get a Walker you won't be disappointed.
  6. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Last season I purchased a 717A for mowing my smaller "high-end" properties. I have really enjoyed this mower but the one thing I believe keeps it from being an almost perfect small frame ztr is it's lower blade tip speed. It's only listed as 16,500 fpm compared to my Hustler's 18,000+. Yes, I'm comparing two different brands and sizes but I know the 717A wouldn't leave rows in really thick fescue and my clippings wouldn't be as large if the blade tip speed was higher.

Just my .02.:)
  7. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i think tacoma nailed this answer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  8. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Dealer service and ease of getting parts is more important than specs. I just found out it will take 3 weeks to get a part for my Lesco, NEVER AGAIN.
  9. Macdiesiel

Macdiesiel LawnSite Member

Exmark all mowers 18,100 btrpm
  10. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Deck design is a BIG factor in cut quality and quanity.