Importance of good wire stripping

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by steveparrott, Jan 30, 2008.

1. steveparrott

steveparrott Sponsor

A contractor called us the other day complaining that he was getting a 7 volt loss on one of his wire runs. One of our guys visited the site, examined the wire and found that at least half of the strands had been cut on both ends of the home run wire because of really sloppy stripping.

We cut and restripped the wire correctly and, voila, the voltage loss was 2 volts.

This is why, in our seminars, every attendee sits with wire strippers and practices till he gets it right.

2. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

its pretty hard to screw up stripping if you use the idea stripmasters and the correct tooth size.

This is EXACTLY why untrained people should not be doing lighting. If you couldnt figure out a bad splice you should not of hooked up the system to start with.

3. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

So, let's say I am in the upper 5% of the class, and have a real knack for using automattic wire strippers without breaking off several strands. Are you saying that I have to sit there and wait for the 'special' guys to get with it? I mean, did these guys come to "CAST school" in a little yellow bus? Why not send them to a modified 2-day seminar? KIDDING.

4. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

Hey some of these guys that we all train are coming in at ground level or are self taught at these minor skills and have never been shown the right way. It is important to teach the proper way to strip wires. Anyone with half a brain can strip wires with a wire stripper but making a good strip is another thing. The key is to use one hole larger on your wire strippers, so if stripping 10ga wire use the 8ga cut. Go in at an angle and then use your thumb as leverage to pull and snap the insulation. If you here the insulation snap your making a good strip of the insulation. You want 0 copper strands taken off with the insulation.

5. Mike M

from usa

I might add that is a standard practice of mine to cut of the end of my leads where certain manu's provide pre-stripped ends that have cut strands on just about every strip.

6. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

If you are reffering to us I will suggest an ECO to not strip the ends of cables if indeed we are breaking copper. We use a stripping machine that is very expensive to ensure this does not occur. There is a difference in broken copper strands in a sense that I could envision a possibilty of the wire end bending where stripped during shipping. I will however look into this first thing in the morning.....I am sending an email as we speak.

7. Mike M

from usa

Chill Joey. Ain't you. :)

By the way, I love the quality of Unique leads. Very easy to work with.

8. Mike M

from usa

And for equal political exposure, I like the tin coat wire on all of CAST leads, too.

And I bet Gambino wires are nice.

And DGLights are most likely associated with some kind of good wire too.

9. eagle irrigation

eagle irrigation LawnSite Member

I have never gone to school to learn how to use strippers. But I do pay strippers so they can go to school. One dollar at a time.

10. SamIV

SamIV LawnSite Senior Member

Now that was funny.