1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

importance of stripes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GrassFearsMe, Mar 11, 2006.

1. GrassFearsMe

GrassFearsMe LawnSite Senior Member

i get a kick out of the thought people put into the stripes their mowers leave. buying extra parts for their mowers and whatnot. i have tested the theory that a lawn with perfect stripes pleases the customer on quite nice properties, and frankly they dont really care. i have done figure 8's and circles on lawns and i did that whole mind mezmorizing box. As hard as i used to try to make straight lines in the lawns, curved lines is what i usually end up with cuz the speed is more important to me, its not that important. anyways thats just what i think.:dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:
  2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

then I guess it is a great thing that your customers don't give a whitt what their lawns look like when you are done........

GEO :laugh:
  3. extoro

extoro LawnSite Member

I really don't like a striped yard. I'd rather my yard have a smooth carpet look. Different strokes, different folks
  4. liquidforcedude7

liquidforcedude7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from america

Mine couldn't care less about stripes or anything as long as it is shorter when im done than when I started....
  5. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

yup, thats what I've seen myself.
  6. tcls83

tcls83 LawnSite Member

I disagree. Striping distributes the clippings better, and in my opinion, is easier to mow. If you do it for a while, and get to know your machine, the lines will become laser sharp. I personally like the satisfaction of leaving a nicely striped yard. I am not just in it for the money, neither. In my opinion, people do notice. But not enough to tell you "Wow!! I like how you do those lines!!!". Most people are happy, but just don't say anything. And I don't expect them to say anything.
  7. tcls83

tcls83 LawnSite Member

And how could you not notice the striping on the field during a ballgame.
  8. liquidforcedude7

liquidforcedude7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from america

Im not saying I dont stripe. I myself like how they look and I try do them as long as im not super cramped for time, But unless the grass is pretty good and will show them decently I dont waste my time....
  9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Customers do notice.
    Some like it, some don't, and some are puzzled by them.

In any event, it does take a lot more time and effort though.
    No question about that at all.
  10. Imow4u2

Imow4u2 LawnSite Senior Member

Not a whole lot of extra time for me, It's actually second nature.. If it's an account of mine you will know it long after the truck and trailer are gone!!!