Important momentum question

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by DiamondCut09, Jul 31, 2009.

1. DiamondCut09

DiamondCut09 LawnSite Member

Sorry guys, pretty new to this. Just joined the forum. Anyway, just picked up a used permagreen ride-on centri. Guy i bought it from said he was running 4 oz. momentum per gallon of water. Machine has an 8 gallon tank and he said it does 32,000 sq. ft in 8 gallons. I just thought 4 oz of momentum sounded a bit high. I understand that the amount has to be more because it covers more area and that the water is just a carrier however, just wanted to double check. Thanks again guys appreciate the help.:confused:

2. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

That would make the rate for the momentum 1.25 oz per 1000. I dont know if that is what the lable says, I am too tired to look it up.

But he is giving you the stock coverage of 32,000 your machine may be different. I have 3 ultras and they range from 28,000 to 30,000 but I have never gotten the 32,000 that perma green says you do.

Just double check the coverage the machine will actually do, other than that the numbers dont sound out of line.

You may want to run a sticker along with the broadleaf, LI7000 or Hawkeye to improve weed control We have noticed a significant difference b/t the PG and the Z spray as far as control of certain weeds. DO NOT use the Lesco non-ionic spreader sticker as that will gum up your nozzles real fast and you will burn out your pump.

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Don't listen to the previous owner. Do your own test to make sure one gallon covers 4000 sqft. If so, 4 ounces per gallon sounds about right.

4. DiamondCut09

sounds good, is there anyone who can instruct me briefly how to exactly calculate/calibrate the machine so i know what I am getting. Thanks again

5. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Just measure off an area, easier in a parking lot, put water in the tank in a known amount and start testing how much area that water will cover.

6. JWTurfguy

JWTurfguy LawnSite Senior Member

Anytime you're calculatiing rates on a permagreen, the numbers can tend to come out a little strange, especially if you're used to using backpacks. You have to learn to think in terms of coverage per thousand square feet, and not how many ounces per gallon. So, if your tank is designed to cover 32,000 sq ft, and the label says 1 oz per thousand (not sure what Momentum's rate is, but just for the sake of easy math...), you need 32 ounces of chemical in the tank. If it's an 8-gal tank, then obviously that means 4 oz per gal.

7. RigglePLC

JW is right. Fill with water to exactly 8 gal. Spray until it reads 7 gallons. Measure the sqft covered. Say 5000. If the rate is one ounce per thousand you need 5 ounces per gallon. It never comes out even of course, so if the sqft covered is 4.5 thousand per gallon, the 8 gallon tank covers 36 thousand sqft. Use 36 ounces. Make a "Fill Chart" for each gallonage and glue it to the side of the hopper for easy reference. Repeat to be sure you are accurate. Let us know how it comes out. Be sure to test spray an area that has several turns so your swath width will be typical. Best to do it on grass as this slows the machine slightly. Keep the same gear and rpm, of course.

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

My Ultra does 32 per 8 gallon tank. The company says 34 tank, but it is less. 32 is what mine is calibrated at. 4000 sq. ft. per gal. is right on for mine.

9. DiamondCut09

So let me just ask one more question here. I am going to calibrate my machine tomorrow. So i am going to fill it in a parking lot up to the 8 gallon line, and spray a straight line until it reads 7 gallons in the tank approx..i understand what you mean when you say its hard to get exactly. Now would i than measure the distance of "x" amount of feet long by the width of the spray which i am guessing is something like 48-60 inches?? keep in mind i have the ride-on centro the black hopper one.
    Or do 2 or 3 passes straight lines so i am not measuring a far distance? thanks guys! this site is awesome!:walking:

10. RigglePLC

Clean nozzle filters. Adjust nozzle angle and direction. It is best to do at least 3 passes, to assure you have a constant swath width. Decide if you need to overlap. It should spray more than 48 to 60 inches. It may spray 3 feet on either side of the machine, potentially 108 inches.

It will probably go slower on grass than pavement. Check this. Tall wet grass=slower yet. (Slower means you will apply more per 1000 sqft).