Important question

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by nmez21, Feb 7, 2006.

1. nmez21

nmez21 LawnSite Senior Member

If I were to buy a domain name and a hosting package on one of yahoo's "starter packages" would my site be listed on google and msn when i typed in the name of my company or something? Thanks in advance.

2. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Even if it was not listed with google, submitting is easy and takes a few minutes.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

The simple answer to your question is no.

It will only appear on google / msn once some references point to your site, such as a link from Yahoo's local listings:
    http://listings.local.yahoo.com/?fr=smb1

Oh, they say you get a free web site with it... Why I don't know what that means but if it's anything like Geocities, then it's definitely worth a shot - I guess try the free version and you can spend the 10 later to enhance the listing? Probably worth it for spring (the enhanced thing, that is).

It's easy, just fill in your business listing, and then it prompts and guides you along, even gives you a templated site to start out with.

Peace

4. topsites

5. nmez21

nmez21 LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for all the help.

6. Landscape25

Landscape25 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I just recently started with Yahoo Sitebuilder and the starter package for hosting. I think three of my pages are on MSN, not the index strangely enough,but I submitted the sight and it is also on Yahoo. I think Google takes a while. With Google you can also submit a sitemap. Type in Google sitemap or sitemap on Google and it will come up. I don't think this actually helps rankings but helps the robot navigate the page. All that should be under the help part. I originally started the design with Go Daddy but found it very difficult to work with, Yahoo Sitebuilder is much easier.
    Topsites I did the free website with Yahoo, it is worth it to spend the money for a real one, it isn't that much, 11.95 regularly priced a month and that includes a domain name. I have two domains now but am going to switch to just one.

7. topsites

That's news but it's good news, I did not know this but it just goes to show what Yahoo can do for you.
    For 11.95 / month with hosting, that's worth it, you won't find much cheaper hosting + registration, and I dare say with Yahoo you can't go wrong. For one you won't find much cheaper and Yahoo is one reliable 99% uptime momma, I'd gladly pay double that (and I have, years ago). Then you got it all in one place, everything you need in one admin menu, all your options and configs, one-stop shopping.

Look at it this way: I jumped on that 5.90 / 2 years registration deal and then I got to spend a few hours to set it all straight... I think it's all set now, just waiting for the domain to resolve (up to 72 hours they say), but if I had not had my own dedicated server, then $12 / month is well worth not dealing with the hassle. Yes, I think it is well worth it when one way or the other, spend it you will.

Lot of folks out there spending 20-30 / month just for hosting, dedicated servers run closer to 100 / month and up.
    Yahoo doesn't do much for the free loaders (no offense, I'm a free loader too), but become a paying customer and the tune changes noticeably, and for the better. That's been my experience with Yahoo.
    So the thing is, even if you can beat Yahoo's price, you still can't beat their service.

8. Landscape25

Landscape25 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

11.95 a month and I am still upset I have to pay the extra 8.95 a year with Go Daddy since I already have my main domain with them. As it stands I plan to cancel my current hosting account and use my domain name from Go Daddy to start another. To bad I didn't know what I was doing from the beginning. I kind of figured the free website was something, but it could do more harm than good, that is if any potential customer ever looked at it. At least the full 8.95 doesn't start this year. It really is an inexpensive way to advertise I shouldn't complain.