Important question!!!!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by pattytastik, May 5, 2011.

1. pattytastik

pattytastik LawnSite Senior Member

So I am 17 year old and I have around 50 lawns (small city lawns) that are within a mile or two of each other. I have been pushing my mower around my neighborhood with my weed wacker and all equipment pilled on my 21in mower while i wear my backpack blower. I am quite frankly sick of this. It is awful for the mower (my wheels are shot and will continue to get shot despite the new wheels). I am getting my license soon, so i am considering getting an older pickup, however this will make it that i make much much less money due to the cost of the truck, but mainly the enormous cost of auto insurance (young teen, male, city driving) I have been looking into alternate options. Heavy duty wagons that could hold my equipment, golf carts (not anymore, i found out they are illegal on side walks and streets).

Sorry about the long post. Any ideas??!

2. Southern Pride

Southern Pride LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Memphis

Dude, buy a truck. You're going to have to pay bills, that's part of life. What the he!! is a heavy duty wagon? Also how do you handle doing 50 lawns with a pushmower by yourself? Are they all zero lot lines or something?

This is one of the more "interesting" posts I've seen in a while.

3. pattytastik

They are tiny lawns (25 minutes by myself). a big mower wouldnt work, to many fences and it isnt neccesary. trust me i've thought about this. I am not planning on doing this as a profession. I plan on doing this through college to help pay. Keep in mind i only make like 8k a season so an old truck (4k) plus insurance (4k a year) obviously is rideculous.

4. ecurbthims

ecurbthims LawnSite Senior Member

my son used to pull a trailer he made behind a mountain bike,it worked awesome for him .Unfortunately,that was 8 years ago,and any pics would of been on an old long gone computer .

5. pattytastik

hmm thats interesting. It was possible to pull around 200 pounds of equipment with that setup?

6. Southern Pride

from Memphis

Oh Okay yes I figured they were zero lot lines. I wasn't suggesting you use a big mower or anything but just wondering about size...

Look go to the "economy" lot at your local dealer and find one of the old toyota tacomas for $1500....Surely you can find a small truck that will get the job done for $1500. No matter what, you're going to need a vehicle to get to college lol Heck I have seen alot of cars with trailer hitches on the back of them too, but even with your setup you could operate from the trunk of a car although a truck bed would be ideal but yea a 2wd tacoma would be perfect for you because the bed is barely off the ground. Very easy load/unload of the mower. Search craigslist and just put $2000 or so in and get you somethin man. Yeah it sucks to pay on but then you have a car, so you're good.

Griffin

7. pattytastik

Yeah thats probably what i will end up doing. Thanks for the advice!

8. Southern Pride

from Memphis

No problem. Remember those old yotas are still very reliable!!! Other than that, Chevrolet all the way! I love my 95 Z. Good luck.

9. LGL

LGL LawnSite Member

Thats a great idea for you, build a very effective trailer to tow, with the right size wheels it will work like a charm. Search the net for some pics, you'll find them. Good luck.

10. pattytastik

LGL: do you mean the bike trailer option?