Important Questions!!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by stonedawg, Mar 13, 2006.

1. stonedawg

stonedawg LawnSite Member

Guys, this is my first year and I was wandering if signs on your trailers help generate business?? I had a guy tell me not to put them on my truck because he was in an accident once and his insurance company got all over him about not having commercial insurance for his truck which = big bucks. Is this something you guys have came across? How in the heck do I get my name out there???

2. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

First off, you get commercial auto insurance.

I have it through Progressive Commercial and believe it or not it's cheaper than my personal policy was! Granted I do have a $1000 deductible =(

So get the insurance, get signs on your truck AND trailer, or better yet get them lettered. Vinyl letting is REALLY cheap as long as you install it your self. And it will look much more professional than wood or magnetic signs.

3. FordManKubotaDreamer

FordManKubotaDreamer LawnSite Member

Insurance for a 2002 F-150 per year is only $827 for commercial coverage. The deductible is only $250. Thats really not that much compared to if you do get in an accident and they won't cover your truck because it wasn't insured commercially. :)

4. lawn masters 2006

lawn masters 2006 LawnSite Member

u better get com.insurance...this happened to me in sept.head on w a car...w truck an trailer full of stuff...insurnce company would not of covered a thing if i didnt have commerical insurance...med bills are around 300,00 an counting...

lastscan truck.JPG

5. lawn masters 2006

lawn masters 2006 LawnSite Member

a car hit me head on at 85mph...guy had a seizer{spell check} broke 4 medtorso bones in left foot an schared heal on rt foot...layed in bed for three months,an had to learn to walk all over again..lives a b****...but back to go to work ,an cant wait...u need com.insurance:hammerhead:

took the front axle an but it under my seat...an the truck was 4 wheel drive...ochhhh

lastscan22.JPG

6. Landscape25

Landscape25 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Stone,
    I have an artisan surcharge on my personal policy that covers me for up to 5 jobs a day. If you do a lot of lawns in one neighborhood something like that may work for you, I would imagine it means 5 stops but not sure. That is 94.00 for 6 months in addition to the regular amount, although I don't know if all companies offer it. If you aren't that busy yet, it is worth looking into.

7. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

Be Legit Get Insurance. Its all the new peope or (non legits that dont pay workmens comp , Unemployment taxes,Liability Insurance, commercial copverage that make it hard for us (Real Companies to make a profit) Because they dont do it right theyundercahrge and underbid jobs bringing the whole industry down .

8. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto everything BigJeeping said. There is no reason not to have commercial insurance. You don't grow a business by hiding in back alleys with your unmarked truck pretending not to 'really' be in business because you don't want to pony up for commercial insurance. You got it assbackwards. You get the commercial insurance and proudly display that you are a real company.