1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Impossibly hard ground??

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Travisty, May 26, 2006.

1. Travisty

Travisty LawnSite Member

I did an instal the other day. Easy instal 10 bullets. I thought wow, I'll be outa here in a day. hehehe. I put the shovel.. or tried to put the shovel in the ground and hit the rockiest soil I have ever seen. I guess they dug into the side of a hill for the foundation of the house. I didn't know this when I booked the job. Didn't even think about it since I am still so new to this. I couldn't trench.
    I ended up using a sweeper hose nossel and digging a small trench with that and then digging the rocks out of the trench with my hands. It worked, but I made a real mess of there yard. They said they didn't mind, but does anyone have any advice for something like this?? :hammerhead:
    Travis Schiffner
  2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Yea check the soil structure before you bid the job !
    Lesson learned.
  3. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

Travis, always, always, always, check the soil. I actually have a concrete saw that I have had to use to cut the ground. This was not even rocky ground! The soil/dirt was just that hard! We tend to learn these things the hard way though. Just think if you had learned it on a 100 fixture install.

Best of luck to you and it was great to meet you up in Dallas!
  4. Travisty

Travisty LawnSite Member

I definetly should of checked it.
    Oh well as sheshovel says.. lesson learned.
    That's what I get for ass-umming
    Good to meet you too Paul.
    When you going to be in Dallas next? I still
    owe you a lunch.

Travis Schiffner
  5. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Jack hammers are standard tools on landscape crews here in Phoenix you can get an inexpensive electric Makita roto hammer for a few hundred bucks or the bigger ones for about 1200. I would just rent from H/D unless it is a reoccurring situation.
  6. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

We are about to do one thats very hard as well. I bid it slightly higher due to the rock and tree roots we will encounter. My solution is an extra laborer and I also find a mini handheld pick ax to be pretty effective. Break it up good and then scoop it out.

I am going to work on fabricating a mini trencher out of an old walk benhind edger when I get some time (yeah right) Going to put a 14 inch cutting wheel on it with small (paddles) to try and cut fine trenches in the hard stuff.

The one we did last week turned out to have an old massive oak tree stump 3" below grade (it was ground). Now that was a bite in the A$$
  7. klkanders

klkanders LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Hey Travis!
    I have a solution to you buying Paul lunch. I am gonna be in Dallas area in about 2 weeks so u can just give me Paul's lunch. Paul thats ok with u isn't it?
    Ha Ha But seriously might like to check out some of your work if possible. Let me know. Later
  8. niteliters

niteliters LawnSite Senior Member

gentleman, !!!!! I know there are probably no aborists here but please...please be careful just randomly cutting those annoying roots. Usually any root that has a diameter 3" + (depending on size of tree) is a main feeder. You will have a very upset customer 6-8 years down the road..if you care, and I hope you do. I speak from experiance.

9. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

i usually punch under roots if possible. Its time consuming sometimes but definatly worth it in the end.
  10. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

My lunch? Keith, I can tell that you have never met me in the flesh. I don't miss many meal opportunities.

Let's not be cutting those large root either, we can't be killing the clients trees.

Chris, you are far too kind!! It must be that good Kentucky upbringing.