1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Imprelis is bad for Spruce and other trees

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Airborne Toxic, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Airborne Toxic

Airborne Toxic LawnSite Member

Rumor is starting to swirl that Imprelis is killing evergreen's, especially norway spruce. Damage is dramatic and progresses rapidly 4-6 weeks after application. Be very careful where you apply, and READ THE LABEL. Avoid drip lines. Damage is more evident on mature spruce versus newly installed 6-8 footers, probably because of the concentrated drip line of a smaller tree. Use wisely. Its a great product, but may be very short lived...

2. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't put out a panic signal yet.
    According to the DuPont rep I spoke with, Dicamba is actually worse via root uptake than Imprelis is. And I have yet to kill a tree using a product containing Dicamba, even sprayed right up to the trunk.

More info, please. What application method was used, what rate, etc?

3. Airborne Toxic

I agree, and I assure you it's not panic I intend to spread, but the recent issues were suggested by a couple other posts buried in another thread. This is going to deserve attention. That being said, there is no question imprelis is a great product when used properly.

When is the last time you spoke to your Dupont rep? Touch base with him/her tomorrow and ask about any recent issues with trees, and if there are any specific trees that may be more succesptible than others. There is apparently a good reason why the label recommends avoiding the drip line. Who know, maybe it will all blow over and turn out to be nothing.

I do apologize, but I can't mention the specifics of the app.

4. Airborne Toxic

However, I should have titled the thread with a more cautionary tone. Imprelis COULD be bad for... point taken!!

5. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

I'm always surprised to hear when people spray any weed control below something ornamental in value.

6. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i have had no ill effects at all anywhere

sprayed up to blue spruce trees and clematis vines. no issues and it has been at least 4 weeks or more

7. Grassworks Inc.

Grassworks Inc. LawnSite Member

Saw my first damage yesterday on a lawn that was sprayed 6 weeks ago. White pines and a Norway spruce. The spruce is toast. Have talked to several people over the past couple days and they're seeing more of it.

8. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Was this your customer? What application method did you use (ride on, gun, etc). What rate?

9. Grassworks Inc.

Grassworks Inc. LawnSite Member

Yes. Handsprayed @ 90gal/A, 4.5oz/A rate of Imprelis. The site is about 100k sqft. Had enough Imprelis for 65-70k, then switched tanks and sprayed the rest with Vessel. Tank mix consisted of fert/Prodiamine/and herbicide. No twisting/distorted growth on pines in the Vessel-treated areas, only the Imprelis-treated areas.
    Have heard about 2 other LCO's in the area having issues also. I hope DuPont doesn't take the Benlate route with this.

10. jasontimm

jasontimm LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

The DuPont rep or any chemical rep. is no diffrent than a used car salesman, they will tell you what you want to hear.