Impressed by the Billygoat 33"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn Dog2001, Feb 25, 2004.

1. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

I just got back from the lawn and turf show here in Western PA. I got a good chance to check out the Billy Goat 33" that people have been talking about.

I must say I was very impressed with this mower. When I first saw the pictures of this mower I thought it was another TroyBilt 33". Not the case at all. There is nothing on this mower that is not commercial grade. The deck is as heavy duty as any other commercial grade unit. Handles are a little thin but they are reinforced with solid steel rods. Also heavy duty drive, and deck belts. It really looks like a good machine.

I could not get over how compact this thing is. It would be perfect for any tight fenced in areas, or even small front lawns where you might use a 21".

It is hard to say without cutting with it, but I think it would hold up favorably against any other commercial 32". At only about $1500 this mower looks to be a bargin. Although I dont understand why they would put a Briggs engine on such a well thought out machine.
  2. ZaK18

ZaK18 LawnSite Member

I agree the mower looks solid but I'm not sure it would deliever the same quality cut as the 1 or 2 blade mowers, has anyone used one???
  3. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

That info about their engine selection sounds like a potential weak link....That may explain part of the lower price as well.
  4. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Can't have everything at that price.

Lawn Dogg, please explain more about this mower, how it steers (via manhandling?), height adjusting, weight, etc. As a replacement for the usual 21" trim type mower, it could be useful.
  5. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

Well on the left handle there is an operator presence control pedal that you hold down while the blade is engaged, when you release it, blade disengages. Typical.

On the right handle is a brake and drive pedal. The drive pedal is only on one side, so when you want to spin, you turn the machine manually. But the machine is not heavy, especially when in motion, so this shouldnt be that big of a deal.

The brake is the opposite of most WBs. The brake is in park when released, and you release the brake by squeezing the pedal.

Height adjustment is done with washers on the canasters, same as most fixed deck WBs. Weight of the unit is only 217lbs!! Which is why I dont think turning manually will be a beast.

I am not currently in the market for this small of a machine, but I may consider doing away with 21"s altogether if this machine proves itself to be the real deal.
  6. gogetter

gogetter Banned

And 282lbs for electric start model.
  7. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Take a look at the deck...remind you of anything? Sutech Stealth.

How well do you think grass is going to pass from 3rd to 1st chamber & through the discharge in lush turf. From what I understand the BTS is higher than the Sutech but discharge capability could still be a problem
  8. brucec32

You tell us, Fareway. Is that blade setup a known problem or are you just guessing? I would actually be mulching anyway, and the problem in that case would be the lack of seperate mulching chambers (I believe it uses a single blockoff plate and mulching blades in the kit)

Perhaps the deck design can handle it at the typical walking pace of maybe 3-4mph max instead of sulky equipped real wb's at 6mph and above, where under-deck grass handling would be a problem.

It's not a real midsize wb, so comparing it to one would be a mistake. But for those small gated areas and use on the few steep berms and slopes I'd come accross, it's interesting. But I still want to hear real user comments on its ability.
  9. germann

germann LawnSite Senior Member

Three blade designs clog, clump, and discharge less evenly than two blade machines. You would be amazed how well our 36 in exmark cuts in wet, high grass(with high lift blades). This is because the two blades are in line. The grass flows better. I would say a 36 exmark will go anywhere a 33 billy goat will, and will be more durable and cut better.
  10. brucec32

Interesting. I've owned a few of both 3 and 2 blade machines. I never thought that one was intrinsically better at not clumping than the other. My 3 blade 48" Lazer HP disperses great. My 44" 3 blade toro does too. My 32" 2 blade Exmark type deck Toro does also. A previous Toro 36" 2 blade dispersed well. Another previous 44" SFS type Toro 3 blade wasn't as great. And finally a 37" Toro 2 blade clumped pretty bad in some situations.

I think it's more the actual design rather than number of blades. or power. Or blade design, even.