Impressed with the Chopper!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sheppard, Sep 20, 2001.

1. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

Tried out the Dixie Chopper (2500) today on my largest account. Used the 60 inch. Planned on it taking 2 hours and extra minutes- did it in exactly 90 minutes! Had only 20 minutes of trimming to do afterward. I was amazed that I was able to get so close to the edge of the grass line. Ran next to a 15 foot drop off to the ocean and was able to hold the system steady for a long stretch. The seat was very comfortable and the motor was very smooth- did not have a numbing effect on me. The only thing I didn't like on it was the engine dieing whenever I got off the seat. Ran Gators over bermuda grass cut at 2 inches- cut very well.

Cordially,
    sheppard

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

It is 2001, almost 2002 and DC still has the most outdated operator presence safety control. Most of the "other" mowers use multiple switches that actually allow the engine to run without your butt in the seat!

Come on DIXIE....Wake up! I want to go back to ya's, but you are still holding on to the "old days" too much!

3. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I know I am not politically correct nor do I meet safety standards, but I like the Chopper safety system because all I have to do is just unhook some wires and I do not have to worry about anything. Of course, I am a one man show and cannot be sued by anyone.

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

i bet no one here that has Chppers uses the factory saftey,although some wont admit it,or avoid this topic.This is sad,and a shame since we have no safety at all now. My dealer showed me how to unhook it when i bought the mower,and said,everyone unhooks them to me.They were right,Im in the process of wiring a micro switch into the blade engaement lever,so you can stop the blades,and get off without killing it,but if the blades are on the motor dies.Sheppard,glad you likd the mower,i find it almost impossible to mow at 2",unless the ground is literally perfectly flat.Any curvatures,or uneven spots,and it scalps.

5. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

If any of you chopper fans get a chance to demo their new offset trimming deck (don't know when dealers are getting them) do it. I saw it at Louisville, and not only does it flex to contour mow, it trims everywhere. Driving it was unbelievable.

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I think the new Flexdeck is a neat idea but at $1500.00 they're asking for a LOT of money. But then I said that about the first commercial trimmer, backpack blower and mower before I bought them.

7. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I watched several people demo the flex deck at the expo. Looked very awkward to me. Every one was hitting the obstackes and fencing set up! Im sure it just takes some getting use to but i just dont understand the point of it? upgrading to a 72inch cut from a 60 isnt 1500 bucks so it cant be to save money.

8. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

had a flex deck on an older JD,
    didn't like it,
    it over-weighted one side, and after very little use it started to twist and flex.

i saw one on a Dixie, not sure why, it seems like it would tend to pull to one side more and bounce when running at high speeds.

by the time you manuever it around with a tractor your ztr would be back on the trailer finished.

Sorry, they will never replace a ZTR, their is no comparison.

9. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

My dealer told me that DC are cheap and cheaply made...he told me you can get a DC new for 6 grand is that true ? I asked him "arent they the most expensive mowers on the market" and he was like " no you can get those suckers for cheap like 5 or 6 grand "

10. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

That is sort of like saying John Deere's are cheap. Sure you can get one for $2000 for the cheap one, but you can spend $100,000 for a farm tractor too.

DC makes one for about 5 or 6 K, called the Estate. It is usually bought by homeowners, but has the same hydro system as the commercial line. It has the same frame, but in red. It just doesn't have the good filters or coolers and the cheapest model only has a 3 gallon tank on it.

This has to be what he is talking about.