1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Impression of Toro commercial 21 w/Honda engine

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TXbulldog, Apr 6, 2007.

1. TXbulldog

TXbulldog LawnSite Member

Four weeks ago I scalped, rolled, aerated and fertilized my personal lawn and by yesterday the grass had finally grown tall enough to try out my new Toro. I put it in 1st gear but the speed was kind of slow. I skipped 2nd and went straight to 3rd gear. Third gear is nearly perfect, but I would actually prefer that it was a little bit faster. I know I am in the minority on that one, but I tend to walk very fast. The cut was extremely even and the mower did not bog down once, although I slowed down the speed (by relaxing pressure on the bail) in a few areas such as around my fence, trees and flower bed borders. The quality of the mulching was excellent. I just can't believe how easy it was to cut my lawn with this mower and the simple, yet effective, controls. In contrast, the commercial hondas to me are very awkward in comparison. Not once did this mower jump or lurch forward when I engaged the bail. Toro has made a believer out of me. -Jason

21 Toro Commercial
    Stihl FS80
    Stihl FC85
    Stihl SH85
  2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

How much, what model, discharge, etc?
  3. TXbulldog

TXbulldog LawnSite Member

The model is the 22167 (non BBC model). I paid $1k + tax. I mulch 99.9% of the time. The grass I was cutting was bermuda. -Jason
  4. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I have the Toro w/Honda engine and it cuts great whether bagging or mulching. I don't recomend mowing in 3 gear unless its during summer, mulching that fast in spring wont do a very good job. I paid $1145.00 for mine w/ BBC since we bag and there is nothing worse than having to start you mower everytime you have to empty the bag. We mulch most of the time except in spring and I have no compaints on this mower at all. Either Kaw or Honda engine on the Toro commercial 21" will make a great combo.
  5. Lance L

Lance L LawnSite Senior Member

yes they are great mowers, ive blue printed mine =P when i buy another im going to take pictures and notes and post it all on the site, i get rid of the cables except the drive, and remove all the bbc junk on the bottom, and i havent tried it yet but i may cut the tank off the honda and put a 1 gallon tank on =)
  6. nickslawn

nickslawn LawnSite Member

I've used toro with the suzuki on them. I have a 5.5 honda on my yardman and love the power and first pull starting.