Improvements in pistol grips?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TROTTMAN, May 17, 2004.

TROTTMAN LawnSite Senior Member

I have a hydrostatic mower right now with pistrol grips that is about 5-6 years old. I have found the grips to be kind of hard to use and they are jerky. It is hard to vary them much as well. They are kind of tiring as well.

And the way mine is designed, the faster you go, the further the triggers get from your hand, making it more tiring to use and less easy to control the faster you go, seems logically like a bad idea haha.

Anyway, I want to know if on more modern/new mowers if the pistol grips are any easier to use. Are they lighter (less force to slow and reverse them)? Do they still get further from your hand the faster you go? Is the variation of distance less on newer models?

Thanks so much!
  2. brizine

brizine LawnSite Member

hustler h-bar is the easiest to operate in my opinion.
  3. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I'm not sure about modern mowers, but the two walk behinds I have that I purchased in 97 and 99 don't have pistol grips. They are cub cadet mowers, and the controls were called direct effect. There is a control bar that you push forward when you want to go forward, pull back when you want to go in reverse. There is a left and right brake handle you pull toward you when you want to turn. Simplest thing I've ever seen on a mower and they freakin' stopped making them to go back to pistol grips. I also have a pistol grip mower that is the biggest pita to control. It puzzles me why something like what I have never caught on. I see that cub is sorta getting back to that with the newer hydros, as are several other companies. I'd never buy a pistol grip wb again.
  4. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

Try the Toro H-bar, belt or Hydro, very smooth to operate.