Improving LawnSite.com

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Sean Adams, Feb 4, 2003.

1. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

This is a very important question. In the forum announcement, I announced that effective today I will be taking over where Chuck left off in regard to ownership and operation of LawnSite.com and PlowSite.com.

I want to know everyone's opinion about what improvements and changes could/should be made to this site.

It is your community, and I beleive it is important to know what everyone thinks. There are a lot of changes and exciting new additions that are going to be made very soon.

Let me know what you think everyone....

I'm all ears....

2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I looked to see if you were taking comments in the Off Topic Forum and you werent, then I went to Community Support and it was posted as an announcement there too.

So therefore I will post this here because its about the business of LS and its forum members. I think Charles should be re-instated to the Off Topic Forum (only cause he doesnt post much elsewhere -LOL!!)

One other thing which might be of interest to the masses here could be a section for us to post our agreements and other paperwork materials here for review etc. like they have at other sites.

This way if your looking for a preventative maintenance checklist or a 14pt. Lawn Care Analysis you can simply look at this section for those documents shared by others to get ideas etc.

Otherwise,
    Best of Luck on Your New Venture!!

3. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

Let me be the first to say congratulations. For the most part, the site could continue as is. Last week, when one thread strated getting out of hand an individual was banned. I think it is very important that the site be policed appropriately and kept professional.

One of the competing forums has gotten really out of hand recently. Very very negative. I started a thread there on Sunday pointing out how the good info was getting buried under garbage. I am not sure if I was responsible in part or what else may have happened, but the site did improve this week.

The format for these sites is so much better than some others, it is really easy to use.

I think the best approach is keep up the good work and fine tune.

Doug
    Austreim Landscaping

4. Hamons

Hamons LawnSite Senior Member

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

I have really enjoyed and benefited from this site tremendously!!!

Ideas that I have for the site -- hmm...

One thing I thnk would be nice if everyone was a verified , valid lawn care professional. If there was some way to atleast have part of the forum only available to those who could prove to be licensed, insured, certified, etc.

Others could view posts -- but not submit posts. or... maybe if there was some way to identify those with valid credentials. I know I have ran across that when reading a post and I take it as good advice and then find out it comes from someone who is 15 years old and never actually run anything close to the type of machine he was commenting on. I know this information is available in the profile -- but maybe something that could be attached to their signature and more easily identifiable.

I can't wait to see the changes you make -- I know they'll make it a better place -- and it's already terrific!!!
    -------------------------------------------------
    Jeff Hamons
    Hamons Custom Landscaping
    Overland Park, KS

5. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Spell checker and Stone on a short leash.

6. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

Just last week someone listed a link to ieSpell that you can download free that spell checks e mails etc. I downloaded it and it works quite well. In fact I just used it on the first part of this message, but I had to add ieSpell, because it didn't recognize it.

Do a search

Doug
    Austreim Landscaping

7. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Bob their is no short leash for Stone. I look at other sites once every full moon and he is bashing over their more than he ever did here.

Try to get Stone to be civilized would be like the UN inspectors trying to get Sadam to turn over all his weapons of mass destruction. Sadam gives up a few but still holds out the big stuff just daring you to come and get it. Just like the US will take out Sadam, Lawnsite would have to ban Stone again after the umpteenth time giving him a chance. Some people will never change. Stome gets his kicks stirring up trouble.

8. Tim Canavan

Tim Canavan LawnSite Member
    from Houston

First off, congrats. I hope you know what you are getting into.:D
    I absolutely love this site. I try to visit every day.
    I do not think the site should waste time with a spell checker. People should just learn how to spell.
    Maybe you could have a Lawn Site South and North. Besides the drastic difference in seasons, there are alot of things you can or can't do in the south that you can in the north and vice versa.

9. dklawncare

dklawncare LawnSite Member

First off let me say this site is wonderful. With that said...<p>I do agree with the North/South proposal. Also, let me add to what kutnkru said...i think it would be cool to have a document section where we go and upload/download different documents such as...<p>Residential/Commercial Contracts, Advertisements (yellow page, newspaper,etc.), Flyers, door hangers, proposal/invoice sheets, mission statements, etc. <p>So many times people ask for suggestions about stuff like this and this would save some time and a lot of questions. Alot of times people ask about the wording about stuff, not really the design of things. And this way we can suggest/take suggestions to/from other LCO's. <p> Also, a lot of people ask about postcards, flyers, and especially doorhangers and where the best place on the net to find them. And a good idea for you might be to set up an agreement with a company to give us a link on here with cheap doorhanger, flyer prices. That way we can hopefully purchase the doorhangers for a pretty cheap price and you can make money by referral/advertisement fees. Just a thought though.
    <p>A couple of other suggestions: Yard/Landscape Picture of the month, LCO of the month, website of the month. A poll of the month, etc... Again if you just left it like it is it would be fine with me. I love this site and I learn something everyday from it.

10. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

I would like to see this be a paysite only to certified, licensed green industry professionals, but that won't happen.