1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Improving the cut of a mower

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by EZmowr, Nov 28, 2005.

1. EZmowr

EZmowr LawnSite Member

I am contemplating buying a Sarlo high wheel mower. I have been told by several people that they have a tendency to get bogged down in thick or high grass. If I replace the stock blade with a gator magnum mulching blade, will this significantly improve the mowers cut and prevent it from getting bogged down in thick or grass?
    If not, can someon please tell me how a mowers ability to cut can be improved?
    Thank you
  2. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I never tried a high lift, or any other kind of blades on the Sarlo I ran, it belonged to the school, and if I changed anythign to non OEM spec, the boss had a HUGE fit, so I just ran it, and let him work on it.
  3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Are you planning on bush hogging with it or mowing weekly yards with it ?
    It depends on what you use it for as to whether it will do what you expect.
    If these people were bogging this unit down they were trying to mow more than the machine was designed to do, Just think if large co-ops are using these mowers ( 12 to 15 ) they must be a good unit or they would move on to something better.
  4. EZmowr

EZmowr LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply. I will be using the mower to trim around trees, houses and other obstacles on the three acre plot we live on. About half of the plot is sloped (15 to 25 degrees) and the terrain is a little bumpy in some spots. The grass clippings from the existing mowers clogg up some of the storm water management drains. That is why I was thinking about a mulching blade.
    any advice would be appreciated?
  5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I would suggest trying the stock blade and see how it does for you, If it doesn't perform as you would like try the gator type blade. But over all these are well built units.