In a bind and a little P.O.'d

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by NNJLandman, Jul 10, 2006.

1. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Alright so I get this job to basically rip out brush around this house, in the back yard where its overgrown, along the side of the house, we ripped out alot of brush and a forsythia and a lot of ivy that was growing allover. So we had to rip out some shrubry that was growing along the sidewalk, so i realize that the shrubs are extremely close to the sidewalks and believe it or not....they were growing out of the slab separation....like acctual shrubs not weeds. So I decided to cut them down and as low as possible because I dont wanna pull the sidewalk up. So the bill goes out they are happy with the work except her mason who she hired to replace the sidewalks, wants extra money to rip out the roots along the sidewalk. These roots are small, but if I do it I know that im going to rip the sidewalk up as well. This is how I see it, the mason doesnt want to make a couple extra bucks on the job and hence is giving her a hard time about it and myself, did all of what I asked plus transplanted some shrubs around which I didnt include in my estimate for her but I still made out okay. Now she saying she wants me to rip these out, since I these stumps so low im probably going to need a machine and end up ripping up the sidewalks saving this mason some moeny. What do I do, I dont want to leave the customer upset, but at the same time i really dont want to loose money, What should i do. Should I tell her ill charge her extra or is it my responsibility?

Jeff

2. start2finish

start2finish LawnSite Senior Member

some pictures would be nice.

from what you have described, you have two options

grind the roots with a small stump grinder, if able

or
    pull the stumps out along with the sidewalk, charge $3.00/sq ft min to remove and dispose of the concrete. or pull out the stumps and have them sign a waiver for damage to the sidewalk and leave it for the mason.

my $0.02

3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

this is one of those times where ide explain the situation to her, you didn't want to ruin her sidewalk so you did what you could to get it to where you did without doing damage. just my opinion

4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Quite simple, tearing up a sidewalk was not part of the deal, if she wants the roots out tell her you'll remove them once the slab has been removed. Their lack of maintenance is what created the situation.

5. CutApproved

CutApproved LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I agree the mcwlandscaping. Explain to her you didn't want to risk breaking up the sidewalk. If you do go back tell her you'll have to charge her x.00 and if you breakup the side walk you gonna leave it for the mason to cleanup etc and you wont remove any of the concrete. Just my 2cents

6. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

give this mason a tampon and find a new mason.........its just silly....if he's repairing it or whatever that is part of HIS issue to fix

7. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Well within the scope of the work you were hired for..I would say it's your responsibilty to rip the shrubs out completly. What you shoud have done is when you saw this problem, talked to your client about it and added and extra charge if needed for the extra work involved. Instead of just making that decision on your own. You were hired to remove,rip out the shubs to me that means dig them out not cut them low.
    So simply explain that you will do the work..but they will have to pay you a little extra for the equipment ect.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I think the easy way out of this one would be to take a paint brush and some round-up, and heavily paint the root stubs with an extra-strength mix of R-U and that should take care of it.

You can always take a sprayer and just douse them heavily as well, just as easy, takes 5-10 minutes but if it were me, I might see about collecting my check in a nice way but at the same time :)

9. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Well I don't think your option is viable Topsites now is it? Regardless if he kills them first or not the cust requested they be removed..dead or alive they will be in the masons way. Or maybe is MY thinking scewered here somehow?
    NAAAAA.

10. wurkn with amish

wurkn with amish LawnSite Senior Member

if the sidewalk is being replaced anyhow whats the big deal if you crack the sidewalk or not?