in a new york minute

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jan 1, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

see how fast everything can change. a while back i responded to a thread about using a 21 inch mower. i swore i wouldn't use one. well, due to the ever changing demand from the public, towards the end of the 2003 season, i used one. tiny, tiny little property, there was no way i could leave a decent cut with a 32 or 36, so i broke out the 21, dusted her off, and off we went. on that block alone, i picked up 3 neighbors, all because of the 21. anyone else doin strictly residential small to medium properties, use a 21?

2. BOTURF

BOTURF LawnSite Senior Member

i for one cant stand using a 21 inch , productivity sux but i do have 2 small lawns i use them on . But believe me they pay alot for me to use a 21 ( almost double what a 48 or 52 would cost )

3. mower_babe

mower_babe LawnSite Senior Member

We use 21"s on all of the fronts of our condo properties and most of the fronts on virtually all of our other accounts. We had an eXmark walkbehind, that I sold earlier this year. It never got used, not once. Of course, after I sold it I kind of regretted it.:mad:

4. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Never got used? Mine goes in ALL the yards, hehe. I have only 3 that I have to use a 21" for the backs. They pay.

5. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

if they want 21" cut, they will pay for it. it looks very nice-but nice comes with a price.

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I don't mind using a 21 inch WB where a larger mower just won't do the job properly. It's people who have lawns that I can use our 52's or 61's (with great reusults) that want us to only use a 21 on that I have a problem with...

7. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Yup.I have one lawn that has to have part of the backyard done with a 21.There is nothing else that will fit or hold the slope.Even the self propelled 21 slides down the hill somewhat.Man I hate that part of the lawn.Nothing wears you out more than pushing a 21inch,even self propelled,across a slope like that.
    I usually hit that part first,so the rest of the lawn is gravy and I can catch my breath.

8. Willis

Willis LawnSite Member

I agree with rodfather, I lost 3 large accounts, each with about 10-12,000 sq ft. They only wanted 21''.

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Nothing against senior citizens, but I have found them to be the ones who want for you to only use a 20 or 22 inch push mower more than anyone else. Maybe cause that is what they used and/or are familiar with...dunno?

Regardless, rodfather sure as s*** ain't walking behind a 22 inch mower over 1/2 of 3/4 acre lawn!!!

10. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

I have a prop that started off with the 48" wb. The back yard had so many obsticles, and a laid wooden path all over the place. Half the yard was very intricately landscaped. Had to start push mowin it. But they are great people....Didn't have any problem with it.. Its the only one I have though.

Dont really wanna pick up anymore push mowin jobs..I pretty much just wanna use the lazer an make the lawns look sweet.