In a pinch

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by spcfoor, Jul 28, 2005.

1. spcfoor

spcfoor LawnSite Senior Member

Last Sat I was finishing up a lawn and went to get the blower and blow off the hard surfaces. I know I will get some flax for this but it was a handheld blower from lowes. My in-laws bought it for me as a b-day gift 4 yrs ago when I started by business. Never had any problems with it until Sat. It starts up and run a little sluggish think maybe some air or water in fuel let it run and start to blow everything off. Well it decides to shut off. Try for 20 min to start won't start. Have three more to service. Finally get mad finish loading up and throw the blower in the back of the truck and head to home depot 1 mile away. My dealer is closed on Sat. I picked up a homelite bp blower for 150. This fall I am getting a sthil bp blower. Haven't decided which one yet. Anyone else buy from home depot or lowes in a pinch?

2. z_clark

z_clark LawnSite Senior Member

Yep, I had to buy from Home Depot when our string trimmer died late in the day once. When you need a string trimmer, you need one!

We mostly run echo 260's, and Home Depot's largest is the 230.

We still have that 230, and it runs great, and still gets used as the back up.

3. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

My back up blower is a $99.00 sears Crapsmen, it will finally start after a bit, my backup to the blowers is a broom......just in case!!!

4. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

The only string trimmers I've ever used are Echos. I get them from Home Cheapo for $199. They last about a year and a half. Their light and very dependable and I can refill the line in about 90 seconds.

5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

they suck, i've used them, they are now located at the bottom of the river with my toro 21" mower, and my stihl backpack blower. if you ever used a redmax, you'd see what i mean.

6. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

Ahhhh ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. 4 years ago? Ahhh ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

7. Steve9

Steve9 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

i bought a Echo 210 and a 2100 from HD that were refurbished! $129 a piece and Ive had them 3 years and run great!! What a steal! i do all residential and mostly Bermuda (15-20) accounts. So they do the job and I have been more than pleased.
    It's a trimmer, not your wiener!

8. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

Originally posted by Bobbygedd
    I'm always open for suggestions. So why is the RedMax better than the Echo? If it's not lighter, more dependable or cheaper I don't want it. And don't need more power for edging and trimming weekly accounts.

9. Scapegoat

Scapegoat LawnSite Member

Haven't had to buy in a pinch per say, but my back-up blower is a Craftsman 200mph, 25cc gas blower I got off Ebay for $20. It was supposedly 2 years old when I got it with only residential use, who knows. I've had it for about a year and it starts on the 3rd or 4th pull every time. I haven't had to use it commercially as a back-up yet, but I use it at my house every week when I cut my own yard. Runs great, no complaints. I mean, for $20. :p

10. spcfoor

spcfoor LawnSite Senior Member

What are you trying to say here?