In A Slump

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TGCummings, Apr 3, 2002.

1. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

Seems like the last dozen or so lawns I've gone to quote on have been immediate turn downs, mostly on my side. Bad roads, bad neighborhoods, and lawns with vehicles/junk piled up on them. They're the kinds of places that when I pull up, I'm already shaking my head... Am I getting too picky?

To add to it, I've been getting cancellations with greater frequency than I've had in years. Mostly nickel and dime stuff, but the large commercial account (Water Company) has decided not to renew this year, too. Seems the board members are tired of finding staff sitting around during the day and has asked the General Manager to have his own people cut the lawns again. Weird little stuff.

My quality has never been better; my systems have never run smoother since my wife came aboard, we're just in a slump.

We're working with the local paper to circulate about 5000 flyers in a couple weeks, so maybe it's just the Law of Average's way of clearing out my schedule for the new rush?

Anyone else experiencing a slower than usual start to Spring? A sudden rush of unrelated cancellations? A untimely hangnail?

How about a pat on the back and a "go get 'em, tiger" for a slumping veteran of the lawn game...? ;)

2. Bill Davis

Bill Davis LawnSite Senior Member

Personally we are having good luck finding good work and keeping our accounts, we are having a little problem with people that are now cutting grass for the extra money and cutting down our prices real bad. These people will eventually go away. Maybe you need to diversify your company and look into things like landscaping and sprinklers and retaining walls. These jobs pay well, keep your workers busy, and make you more likely to get more maintenance accounts. Things always get worse before they get better. Have a good one, Bill D.

3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

thats a bummer . ive lost seven due to deaths and money situation changes. only taken on two new .
    seems like u either worked to death or not getting enough.
    :)
    just keep digging,i guess.

4. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Go get 'em, Tiger!!! :)

We all go through it...I've caught myself feeling the same way lately. Grab them belt loops, pull up them britches and lift that head high.

5. T G sometimes this business can just crawl inside of you. And its nothing you done.This is silly season where everyone tries to one up each other. Plus you have to deal with all the one season wonders.The worst part that I hate is bidding ooo I hate bidding. It sounds like you have a strong base and with your wife with you it makes your company stronger. It seems to me that about every 5 years my route goes thru some major changes that we have no control over. Just keep up the good work like you have been. Only the strong will survive

6. trimmer

trimmer LawnSite Senior Member

The season is just starting give it some time and let the heat come in. Some seasons are just better than others.

7. BGRANT

BGRANT LawnSite Member

TGCummings,
    Hey,buck up soldier everything will be just fine.I
    try to remind myself every year not to worry.Every
    year is the same I start out a little slow wondering if I will get enough accounts.And before I know it I'm pulling my hair out trying to get them all done.Don't worry be :D you will be :blob1: before you know it.
    Brian.

8. CS Lawns

CS Lawns LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Lately everyother job I bid I lose to a lowballer. Did not get any of the 3 jobs I looked at this week. If I say $25.00 they say $15.00. At $1.25 + a gallon of gas, Ins and Taxes I cant see how they are doing it (well I do they are not a legit company). When I get the call to be turned down I tell them to keep my number for when the lowballer quits showing up or does a terrible job.

Sooner or later we will get what we want ??

9. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Lower your overhead in preparation for these types of unpredictable - no way to control them events.

Chances are the low bidder may not survive the season and you will be called upon to resume service during the year.

Never doubt yourself, use the extra time to improve and reflect.

10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

s##t happens...it's part of the biz i think. every business has its ups and downs. in big business and in government, it happens about every 6 or 7 years...very cyclical (and predictable).

so, just keep in mind there will be great times with some not so great times. the thing to do is to know how to ride out the valleys (slumps) so you'r prepared better for when things turn around.

just my 2 cents.