1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

In Commercial Mowing 17 Years

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by puppypaws, Apr 20, 2006.

1. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I called a friend of mine last night that has been in the commercial mowing business for 17 years and he has run every top brand mower there is. He is the kind of person that wants the best no matter what brand of mower it is, he told me he bought one brand of mower ran it for a half of day and put in on the trailer, took it back to the dealer and told him he could not pay him to keep that mower. He is the one that got me started using Hustlers, I was surprised to here him say he went from his last mower being the Super Z to the regular Z with a 72" deck. I asked him why and he said he could not use the speed of the Super Z because it was to rough and he did not want to have disc fusion surgery on his back again. I told him there was a lot of difference in the new Hustlers with the flex forks making the ride so much easier. He went to Whitley's today and bought a new 28 efi with the 66" XR-7 deck and flex forks he then came back by my farm to ask me a few things about the mower. He said Chad told him if I was on that mower and got it going in a straight line anywhere I was running as fast as the mower would run. I took it off the trailer and got into a grassed water way next to my house that is around 800' long and a 100' wide and started out wide open right down the middle, after I had made one pass I stopped and said she will cut just as fast as she can run, he then got on the mower and turned her loose and after mowing the water way he came back to the trailer and said if I had not just ridden that mower I could hardly believe that was possible. He said the Hustler Z he had before would have beaten him to death at only the 9 mph speed it would run and here he was running 15 mph and getting a perfect cut with a very smooth ride. I then said how much do you think that new mower will increase your productivity and he said I believe it could be 40% because I will be able to cut almost twice as fast with a lot less fatigue. He then said I have got to cut a ball field Monday morning and I know exactly how long it takes so I will give you a call to tell you how much time I saved. I said you can take that extra money you save on fuel economy and the extra time you have from not having to mow as long, then you will be able to take your family out and spend more time and a little extra money on them this could possibly keep you in very good standings with your wife.
  2. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

I think the flex forks are great...but when put onto trailer of some of the larger companies like Byrds,Cox & North America. Those forks will eventually be a weak point.
  3. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Not true.
    Where do you get your opinion from?