1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

in defense of the WB

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Wayne Offiler, Jul 21, 2002.

1. Wayne Offiler

Wayne Offiler LawnSite Member

(further on this subject)
    Most of my lawns are 12 - 20 M sq. ft, a few are 3/4 acre. I have demoed the Wright Stander and Toro 52" ZTR Rider. I decided that what I have can't be beat for these lawns: 52" Bunton hydro, 18 hp Vanguard, double blades and Proslide.
    1.) My properties have a lot of trees with widely overhanging, low branches. Step off the slide, stoop low and get that deck way out in front of me. No trim.
    2.) Machine weighs only 550 lbs, easy to control my turns, especially with these stressed lawns.
    3.) Go carefully around obstacles, trimming is minimal and quick. (can stick that out-front deck into tightest places)
    4.) Put larger tires on the Bunton, top speeed is now about 6 mph. Even on my larger lawns, thats about as fast as would be practical.
    5.) Its paid for.

A good WB is not a dying breed. Any supporters?
  2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

a good wb is hard to beat . especially if u know the machine.
  3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I'm certainly not trying to change your mind but have you tried a Walker on these properties. It sounds like we have the same type of properties and I also have my wife using a Toro 44" hydro wb with a Proslide and I am much faster and less tired than she is since I am riding. The Walker isn't made for land speed record mowing but it certainly can fit under trees, around obstacles and in places that you wouldn't think it will go. It hugs hills like a goat also.
    I know a Walker isn't for everyone but I am glad that I invested in one for the work I do. Just something to think about. Good Luck.
  4. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

I'd think a Walker and a good walkbehind would be a terrific combination to have.
  5. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I own both a w/b and z. I feel each has it's place. My w/b is what I started with and I know for sure I would be lost without it. If push came to shove and I had to give up one of my machines, it would be the z.
  6. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

I guess you don't read "my" posts:D And, after 20 years of mowing, my back ain't bothering me and I don't need to visit the gym, either. Long live WB's......Pete
  7. Doc Pete

Yes in fact I did "buy" a walker. And, for properties I have with bumps and lumps and other rough ground, by the time I finished a few lawns I was plain worn out by getting bounced around. It got traded for two bobcat WB's the next day. 4 years later they were sold for two Hustlers WB's. Now I have the advantage of a WB and I'm faster and better cutting than a rider.........But, that's just me ;)
  8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

As long as I am the boss, I will NEVER give up my WB's. I love my Ferris dual hydros. They are the most reliable pieces of equipment I have had in the past 8 years.

Yeah, yeah, yeah...I know all about the Z's. Employees keep reminding me whenever they get the chance. Maybe next year.

Maybe new employees instead? LMAO :D
  9. Doc Pete

Or maybe a new Boss:D :D :D
  10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks Pete....you're all heart!