1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

In for a drought

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by griffy77, May 25, 2006.

1. griffy77

griffy77 LawnSite Member

So what do you guys think? I live in WV and we havent had any rain since last monday, and doesnt look like there is any rain in the future. Nation wide it looks pretty bad. Not only for us but for farmers too. There are alot of yards beginning to brown up already.

This season doesnt look good.
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Why are yours brown, are you still cutting them when it's not raining?
    How come, isn't the grass not growing?
    And if it is, hasn't it slowed down?

Because it's slowed way down here, spring is over and most of my yards are on 10-12 and 12-14 day schedules. None of my yards are brown because I've been through it where customers wised up to my weekly cuts, we haven't had rain in a month, please cut grass with a schedule based on some common sense.

As for the season not looking good, I said it back in April that I felt a lean year coming, nothing has changed.
    It is the reason I didn't buy much in equipment, a new trimmer and a chainsaw, bunch of small stuff and parts but I got next winter's money saved, planning on running the rest of the year on supplies I already have, the hatches are shut tight.
    The good news is there will be fewer Lco's next year, guaranteed.
  3. stryper

stryper LawnSite Member
    from IL

Ugh, just when I was starting to feel good about the .7" of rain in our neck of the woods yesterday, I find this thread. Then I go here and see that even though we're roughly 3" ahead of the pace last year, we're already in the "abnormally dry" category. Now I'm depressed.

I'm beginning to think there's just no way to win. :cry: :cry: :cry:
  4. launboy

launboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

in northwest indiana we get a rain fall at least 2 times per week. As much as i hate a drought, this rain is getting anoying, every week we get a little behind due to the fact that it rains right in the middle of the day. i would love to have a rain free week, at least rain free during working hours.
  5. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Everytime I think things are drying up completely, we are saved by a thunderstorm. A good one blew up a short while ago
  6. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

It is dryer that grandpa's scalp in the middle of South Dakota.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

All new customers I sign up go on a flat-rate monthly contract...next season I will switch all existing customers to this. This way, if you get backed up with rain, no problem...if it doesn't rain, no problem.

Actually, rather than scaring people away, this plan seems to be attracting a better class of customer :)
  8. Charles Odell

Charles Odell LawnSite Member

About 2 and a half weeks here in Little Rock no rain
    90 to 95 degrees EVERY DAY and this is just spring;)
    Lot fewer lco 's around here ,Years like this sort
    the part timers ,sometimers,ect out
    from the full timers!
  9. P & L Turf

P & L Turf LawnSite Senior Member

It's been raining pretty good here for the past few hours. In fact they issued a flood watch. I don't think we'll get that much rain, but it is much needed.