1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

In Need of a New Mower!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LandscapemanFL, May 29, 2008.

1. LandscapemanFL

LandscapemanFL LawnSite Member

I have been looking around and my first choice was Scag, but lately I have been looking around at others. The mower that peak my intrest was the Hustler Super Z 52in, with the 31 hp Kawi. Anyone with this mower? Pros Cons? Any other mower recommendations? Thanks
  2. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

eXmark Lazer Z Advantage Series 52 or Lazer Z HP 52".
  3. Lehighlawnpros

Lehighlawnpros LawnSite Senior Member

I've heard that Hustler makes a good machine,
    but I'll bet that Kawisaki 31hp would consume about two gallons per hour, certainly something to consider.

You know you want a Diesel :)

4. TandM

TandM LawnSite Senior Member
    from south

That is way overkill motor on such a small deck. The 19 on the cub is fine.
  5. LandscapemanFL

What kind of fuel consumption on the diesel? I am well aware that they are more efficient. Which models are good to look at in the diesel. It has to be a 52'. Thanks for all the advice so far.
  6. 1st Choice

1st Choice LawnSite Member

if you have been pleased with the scag why look at changing? ive test driven hustler toro badboy and scag and will probably picking up me scag tomorow.. great interest rates available as well....
  7. Lehighlawnpros

Lehighlawnpros LawnSite Senior Member

Hi again,
    Regarding the diesel, I can just tell you my own
    limited experience with our recently aquired Grasshopper 722D with outfront 52" deck (side discharge).

It's a Liquid Cooled Kubota D902-E engine rated at 22 hp.

I've been monitoring the fuel consumption at just over
    a half gallon per hour.

If you don't want an outfront, Grasshopper also makes
    a 321D midmount with a 52" deck.

Scag offers a Turf Tiger with the same Kubota engine in a 25hp configuration, but apparently only with a 61" deck.

Toro offers the Z580-D with the same Kubota engine in a 25hp configuration and does offer a 52" deck option.

I imagine that the 25hp configurations would also have
    somewhat higher fuel consumption.

Considering the extra torque of a diesel, I think the 21 or 22 hp configurations are powerful enough, and you gain the added fuel economy.

You can probably tell that I'm a big fan of Grasshoppers and Kubota engines, we now own three and they have provided extra-ordinary service life and quality of cut.

If you live close to Lehigh Acres you're welcome to come out and test drive one of ours to see if you like it,
    send me a PM if so.

8. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

exmark/toro would be my suggestion
  9. LandscapemanFL

Thanks for the advice. I'll take it all in over the next week and let you all know what I ended up buying.
  10. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Post pics of it when you get her.