In need of some help

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by coif_kid, Mar 30, 2005.

1. coif_kid

coif_kid LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

Thisyear I decided to make my advertising more professional by using full colour and gloss sheets. The problem Im having is they simply arent performing near the level my advertising was last year when I used black and white on green coloured sheets. I have received maybe 0.2 - 0.3 % response rate this year, almost half of what I had last year.

Should I try to quickly make up additional advertisements on the green paper and pass those out or just hope for the best

2. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Test the market and pass out both. See which gets the best response. It seems the more professional looking would be taken more seriously. Is the layout the same as last year?

3. coif_kid

coif_kid LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

The flyer has roughly the same outline. Some parts have been moved around, but the content is still the same.

4. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

if you're looking for more customers, and you're not getting the response you need, yes go try the other ones. you may find it's not the flyers, maybe just the weather. or you may find it is the flyers, and then you know for the future. but if you don't pass out more, you will not know anything at all.
    that's the key to success, learning from everything you do, whether it fails, or works great, learning from that experience.
    plus, if you have free time, why not go pass out more flyers.
    good luck with them. can you post both designs, maybe people can give you some feedback on them, and some suggestions?

5. Let it Grow

Let it Grow LawnSite Senior Member

It definitely could be a problem with your new fliers. If they look more proffessional people will automatically think that you are more expensive because you can afford nice advertisements. I would recommend doing whichever gets you the most qualified calls. Even if it's the one that doesn't look as professional.

6. Teiman

Teiman LawnSite Member

I agree with Let It Grow. Perception. Most people want
    cheap. You may have out classed your target customers.

Try the nice ones in the upper scale areas and the
    plain ones in the less affluent or average areas.

7. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi coif_kid,

Which ever ones work better. Go with them. Then tweak them a little and see if they change the results. Only change one element at a time.

8. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

There may be something to this. People want something that looks proffesional...but they done't want something that says expensive. I think there is a fine line, in being proffesional...and being too expensive looking.