In over my head on this bid!

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by American Dream Lawn, Jun 28, 2010.

1. American Dream Lawn

American Dream Lawn LawnSite Member

Hey Guys,

This is my first post and I need some advice, please. I'm not sure this is the place to post this type of question so sorry if I'm in the wrong forum.

I've been in the Lawn and Landscaping business for about 6 months now and have ran into my first issue. I bid on removing and disposing a fallen/uprooted tree, a 60' hackberry (3' diameter at base), and after further thoughts, I do not believe I can handle the job based on the way it is laying and the danger involved.

I sent a proposal/quote to the client and she emailed back saying that she wanted me to go ahead with the job.

The contract/proposal basically listed my cost and some terms such as 'This contract is based on services named in provided proposal. If additional services are requested, the Client will be billed accordingly...blah blah blah.' There is some other verbage referring to payment terms but nothing really else.

Do I have a right to refuse or back down once I've already bid and she has accepted? There were no signatures, just a couple of emails saying I'd let her know when I could start.

So far, all of my clients have been very happy with my work and this is the first time I think I've goofed...before I've even started.

Please let me know your thoughts. BTW, I don't think I'll be quoting on another tree job. I'll leave that to the tree surgeons.

Thanks!
    American Dream Lawn

2. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

if you dont mind me asking, why do you think you are in over your head? if its already fallen, it probably cant't do much more damnage unless its near a house or car or mailbox or wires or something else.

3. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

you''ll make mistakes! everyone on here has made a mistake in the bussiness un less they are perfect!

4. American Dream Lawn

American Dream Lawn LawnSite Member

AJs,
    Even though it is fallen, there are still several huge limbs (12") that are about 15 to 18' off the ground that I'd have to cut. Chainsaws and ladders just don't seem to go together...I wish I would have thought about that first.
    Thanks.

5. fastpine

fastpine LawnSite Member

Use a pole saw,......

6. ECO Landscaping

ECO Landscaping LawnSite Member

Do just that. Sub it out to the tree surgeons. And help out were you can to stay in your Bid price. Do it all the time.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. fastpine

fastpine LawnSite Member

dont the pro tree guys charge a ton?

8. betterlawnsandlandscaping

betterlawnsandlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Call Cooks tree service in Murfreesboro, he will come out and give you an estimate. I sub that type of work out to him if its something that big.

9. JoeHop6299

JoeHop6299 LawnSite Member

In this buss, you learn alot as you go, don't think it's to much for you to handle,just jump in!!!! In the end you have a better understanding of what it cost and how long and hard the job was and you won't make the same mistake again. Tree work is a *****, it took me along time to grow big balls, and get my pricing right, I lost alot of money in the being but I did learn. It's only labor not $$$ So get it done man.

10. CHRIS92789

CHRIS92789 LawnSite Senior Member

Can you cut the tree down all the way to the ground so those limbs are not that high up? Sounds stupid but might work!