In over my head....

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by lurch, Feb 27, 2007.

1. NELawnCare

NELawnCare LawnSite Member

I'm just beginning too, but I took a long time to research "the big guys" and built an effective business plan.

I took lots of time to establish my business legals, marketing material, pricing model, and web site. I am set to begin business (snow plowing services) in the fall. I have not begun lawn care yet but will start those services in spring 2008. I've already had one business request a quote...the bank that established my business financial accounts.

These are my thoughts and opinions, take them for what they are worth:

- Appearance. I realized that appearance goes a long way in gaining customers and customer confidence. I invested $20k of my own hard-earned dollars. Bought a 6x12 tandem trailer, Ferris 1500, Ferris Leaf/Grass Catcher, some less expensive push mowers, decent trimmers and blowers. I also invested in a new F150 4x4. If your rig looks good, customers will have more confidence in you.

- Effective web site. If your not on the web, your losing revenue. I designed my web site to be up front and open about cost and services. If you don't present the customer with all the information on the web site, they will feel like you are hiding costs.

- Business cards, business cards, business cards. They are cheap and can be easily passed around at parties, local businesses, community events.

- Yellowbook! This is a debated method due to cost. But I chose to pay for large prominent Yellowbook advertisements. I will let you know if it was worth the $1800/year.

Look sharp - be sharp!

Hope this helps.

2. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

I'm assuming your other business is NEcomputerservice :D

Very informative website.

One question I have when I see people calling a home 1/4 or acre, whatever do you mean 1/4 acre of lawn square footage or a 1/4 acre lot size?

Up here most lawns are around 5k square feet which is about an eight of an acre.

3. wowmowwow

wowmowwow LawnSite Member

ive been in the mow game since 2001. i started with a towncar and my dad would deliver the mower. then got a small truck . traded lil truck for mid size and a used 8' trailer. traded mid size truck for the new one i have now. i think now i "look prfessional" but it took a while. and last year i sent out thank you cards to the 15-20 people who paid for it all. hang in there and dont pout when you see someones nice rig...lol i did for the longest time and i still dont have all waht i want..like the f-250..or 4x4

thanks

4. Ecoscape01

Ecoscape01 LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for your service Devil Dog...........good luck

5. GroundControlLawnCare

GroundControlLawnCare LawnSite Member

I AGREE 100%, THOSE ACCOUNTS THAT TAKE YOU 30 MINS TO DO WITH WHAT YOU GOT WILL TAKE YOU 15 MINS OR LESS WITH A PRO GRADE ZTR OR WALK BEHIND.