1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

In praise of Old Trucks

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by tnmtn, Sep 27, 2012.

1. norsky

norsky LawnSite Member
    from MN

Your darn right.....Thanks guys
  2. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

:clapping: I sure agree with that comment. I'm now in the market for a new pickup and it'll be a 4x2, but when I told that to one salesman, he insulted me saying that based on his pickup-sales experience, I obviously know little about what I should buy. But I've done more than a million miles of driving in my lifetime and about 200,000 in 4x4s (company vehicles that the company also bought the gas for), and I really believe that what Mowingman wrote is accurate. I haven't bought anything yet, but needless to say, I won't go back to the dealer with the salesman who thinks he knows better than his customers what they should buy.
  3. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

wouldn't u want 4x4 in Jersey?
  4. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know it depends. It sure seems like there are no free lunches with trucks, equipment seems to be way better. My first 450 I bought used was a huge mistake. If I would have bought a new one instead, I would still be using it. I added up one time and I spent more keeping that old horse running than what a new truck cost.

One part is how 'important' is that one truck to your business? Does everything depend on it? The other thing - I sure like crawling in a truck that is nice to drive, air, automatic...:)
  5. Lawn Pawn

Lawn Pawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from zone 3

Have not read all the posts..... so someone may have said this.

Here in zone three Wisconsin.... there just ain't no old trucks that are not rust buckets!

Yes... some guys go down south and get some nice iron but it's rusted crap in a few years if run in the winters here.

Wish it was not the case.
  6. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

ha, u dont' say...i bought my first truck from wisconsin, wasn't smart enough at the time to think about the moisture and salt...truck fell apart
  7. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

I'm guessing this must be a gasser or you would have a much longer list of 6.0 issues to deal with.
  8. mlavin73

mlavin73 LawnSite Member

You are correct. I have the 5.4 gas motor.
  9. tnmtn

tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.

a little update, used the old C65 on a job last week. Loaded with 5 tons of gravel I was able to make a few trips up a pretty steep mountain to finish out a driveway. I was able to stay in the high range gears for most of the trip but did go to lower range for going up the mountain. stayed in 3rd low up to the driveway. at this point i had no choice but to back up the driveway which was the steepest part. the old gasser had no problem in low reverse getting the materials where they needed to be dropped. this old truck impresses me more each time it gets put to work.
  10. Blades Lawn Maintenance

Blades Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Baton Rouge, La

It may be a waste of money to you but that's your opinion...For someone that goes mud riding it's pretty much needed.