In praise of Old Trucks

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by tnmtn, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Back in the late 80's and early 90's my standard favorite was the Chevy C/K series with the 6.2 or 6.5 diesel. I got them cheap at lots around the bases I was staioned at. They wouldn't win any races but were easy to work on and came with extra heavy towing packages. No frills, but those trucks made me a lot of extra money.:usflag:

2. Greg78

Greg78 LawnSite Silver Member

Loving that chevy!!

3. tnmtn

tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.

they have some great deals on older diesels, still with low milage for their age. talking about the shumate truck center.

4. tnmtn

from NE Tn.

just a quick update on the old trucks. The '79 C65 chevy has been working very hard lately hauling. It has been carrying loads up to 7 tons legally without a hitch. still not the quickest truck out there but always delivers. gas milage still sucks but for the price I paid for it I can't even begin to complain.
    The '94 ford got a new lift pump and injector pump about a month ago. so far that has been the biggest maintenance expense for the truck in the 5 years i've had it. it really woke up the pulling power and now I'm not having any trouble towing 6 tons. again it won't win any races but it sure has made money.
    so half way through this summers work season i am very pleased with the old trucks. more importantly it's great to not have payments and enjoying the lower insurance costs.

5. AmericanLawn&Landscape

AmericanLawn&Landscape LawnSite Member

When I buy a work truck, other then my personal which I use now. I'm going for something from 95-03. From the south so its clean, most guys around me drive around in a rotted out, $500, 30 year old "scrappers truck" basically. And I don't want to be associated with that image. I want a clean, professional image.

6. Dually00-00

Dually00-00 LawnSite Member

This is a great thread. Tnmtn I have always liked your C65 great reliable trucks.Our 93 K2500 5.7 has been a great truck 233,000 on the ticker.This truck still plows snow commercially and some times gets to pull a gooseneck its semi retired and has made me a ton of money.
    93 k2500.jpg

93 k2500.jpg

7. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

wow it still looks clean. And in the northeast no less.

8. tnmtn

from NE Tn.

nice lookin truck, I like those wheels

9. Dually00-00

Dually00-00 LawnSite Member

Thanks guys! The truck was getting rough body wise so it was repainted a few years back.