In regards to the new old company

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by C Cutters, Jan 31, 2007.

1. C Cutters

C Cutters LawnSite Member

Alright, for starters I have been in the landscaping/ lawn mowing business for 3 years, but it has been very small time up until now. I am wishing to pass out 15,000 flyers (door hangers) to improve upon my client list (which is under 10 weekly customers.) I have the equipment that would allow me to take on a good deal many more customers but I was hoping to get some information from those of you that have been "more in the game" than I have. Several of my questions are as follows:

1.) I am in the northern region (I think its considered northern!), so when should I be passing out these flyers to start attracting customers? Should I start now, wait until the end of Febuary, etc..

2.) I am hoping to hit each house twice, so that would mean I would be reaching a market of about 7,500 potential clients. What kind of response can I expect, or what kind of response do you all experience in this type of advertising?

3.) As far as "formalizing" the company is concerned, I will be registering the company, probably as an LLC, and would it be worth my getting insurance? I'm sure this seems like a stupid question, but as I said before I have been very small time in the past and since I don't know what kind of increase in business I can expect with my marketing this year, I cannot determine if it is enough to justify insurance. Thoughts??

4.) Lastly, the name of my business is "College Cutters Lawn & Landscape" and I was wondering how this sounds. The doorhangers are very professionally designed by my friend who is on a lead design team at P&G. I will be offering such services as lawn mowing, landscape installation, areation, mulching, etc. but nothing that is too highly skilled. I want people to know that it is college students doing this work, and I personally think that this can play to my advantage, but your all's input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much for your time in reading this and your input. I'll be checking back often to reply to any questions.

2. C Cutters

Any help is appreciated.. thanks alot!
  3. C Cutters

any help is greatly appreciated
  4. RyanD

RyanD LawnSite Member

1. I am not sure

2. Nobody knows for sure, some would say 1% (75 phone calls) because you are targeting 7500 homes.

3. Without insurance, one wrong move could financially destroy your business and you. I recommend getting it. Some might tell you to get millions worth of insurance but it probably isn't necessary. you could get a small policy for $20-30 / mo.

4. I don't know if it is good for your business name to be a tongue twister.

I didn't have solid answers for you but something to think about.
  5. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

1. People will start to think about hiring a lawn service when the grass starts growing. This doesn't mean that early flyers wont land you any jobs though. I haven't done flyers for several years now, but we never had any real good results doing them too early. I get the most of my customers in the middle of the summer when the home owner no longer wants to do it himself. After they see how nice it is to have our crew come by, they usually don't ever want to do the work themselves again.

2. You will probably get less than 1% response. The best places to hit are new neighborhoods. Most of our customers are newly moved in. Hitting the houses twice is a good idea.

3. Call and get some quotes for a general liability insurance policy, it won't cost that much, and if you want to get into commercial accounts, they will probably require it. If you spray for weeds, you will have to pass some tests with the dept of agriculture or the state, and carry insurance.

4. The name is OK. But it might sound kind of like a tentative business, meaning that you might not be able to provide service once school starts. But many people just want the lawn done in the summer anyway.
  6. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I have done many thousands of door hangers in the past. My sign up rate was .004.

I don't really care for the name. To me it sounds like a company that would offer second rate service but would do so at a cheap price. Personally, I wouldn't want that.

Where do you want to take your business? Do you want to run a professional, successful, profitable company? If so, start in that direction on day one. Do you think that such a company would carry ins? Once you know where you are going, these sorts of questions are much easier to answer.