In Search Of A Good Grease Gun !!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Restrorob, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Hey All,

I paid 70 bux for one off a Snap-on truck first of the year. It never worked right from day one (kept loosing prime every 8 or so pumps).

The driver wouldn't replace it or give me any satisfaction then stopped coming in the shop.

It lost prime for the LAST time Friday, Then went flat lined compliments of a 6 lb. sledge.

Now I'm in the market for a new one that WORKS !!!

I like the pistol grip style so what brand/where did you buy yours and can you pump a whole tube of grease without piddling around with it ?

Thanks....

2. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

3. lazer 46

lazer 46 LawnSite Senior Member

I went through a few of those auto parts store grease guns. I bought a Lincoln a few years ago and it has done well. I thought when I bought it that it was Made in USA but it's not. What is?

4. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

Lincoln 14.4 volt power luber. Own 3 keep 2 at farm and one in truck. Buy the grease tips from the Cat Fabick store very heavy duty stuff.

5. SouthernCutter

SouthernCutter LawnSite Member

i got mine at a marine store....the grease comes in tubes that look kind of like tooth paste....it looks wierd, but works great... its a pistol style grip, and has a flexible hose, its so old i dont know what i paid for it. i will get a pic if you want.

6. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I buy mine at the local farm store or napa. Never had a problem with a $20 grease gun.

Tip: Always store your tubes of grease standing up, otherwise some greases will develop a air pocket in the middle of the tube.

7. tomgolfs44

tomgolfs44 LawnSite Member

Lowes special. first and last one i will buy. Works, replacement tubes are handy, and easy to change out tubes (white lithium), Love it.

8. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a plews (lever) and a lincoln (pistol and from Napa or Pep boys) and both work fine. Never have a problem with them losing prime as you say. Starting a new tube by leaving the top unscrewed half a turn or so to bleed it while pumping a couple times has always worked well. Are you using tubes or do you suck it up from a keg or bucket? Could it be your tubes have voids in them....just some ideas.

I guess this may be a good place to add a tip that I did this year to make mine a little more user friendly. I took a heavy o-ring and a small caribeener clip and put them on the bottom of the grease gun. 2 1/2" or so O-ring around the tube and clip hooked over the ring. Now I have a place to store the floppy hose, the end slips right into the clip, and I have eliminated the mess of getting grease from the tip where you don't want it while storing and transporting the gun. No more floppy hose.

9. SproulsLawnCare

SproulsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from IN

I couldn't tell you which brand it is, but I bought mine at Big-R. Iv'e had it for years and the only thing i think might be wrong with it after all this time, is the tip may be getting worn. It seems to leak grease out around the Zerk a lot lately. I will try a new tip before anything else. The brand name Lincoln does sound failure though.

10. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Why are Snap-On guys like this? When I used to be a mechanic they were always rude unless you purchased every week. What I noticed is the ones with this attitude usually didnt last very long in the business...but then another rude driver would take his place. This was also the case with MAC tools. The only tools guys that seemed to be different were Matco and Cornwell.