In search of an extended weather forcast website

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jimsny, Mar 13, 2001.

1. jimsny

jimsny LawnSite Member

I used to know of a weather site that would tell you the EXTENDED forcast as far as 3 months out and further but I can't find it.

I am currious as to when they are predicting spring to hit. Here in Cincinnati OH we had an early spring last year. I am hoping for the same thing this year. I also want to know if there may be a drought this year.

Do you know of such a site?

PS in searching I have located a 10 day forcast at this link. You can go to it and change it to your zip code. If you note the end, my zip is 45244

[Edited by jimsny on 03-13-2001 at 02:12 PM]
  2. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

The groundhog said 6 more weeks. ;)
  3. MWHC

MWHC LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

My local boys at the National Weather Service have trouble with the 36 hour forcast. I don't see how they could make a 90 day forcast with a straight face.

Here is a spot that I look at for extended forcasts

I don't think the science is as good as we would like it to be yet.
  4. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

JIM is this the one:

If not, it does the same thing. It disappeared for a while from its site on yahoo and was replaced with the weatherchannel site or some BS like that.

Good Luck this year!
  5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Here's the page I start looking at for long range forecasts.

It is from the same website as above.

You can also look at historical weather in your area for 1994. So far this winter the weather where I live has been almost identical to 1994.
  6. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

i watch the weather channel, plus all 3 news stations, then i look on here, to get some kind of idea, the one guy on the news in my area is always right anymore i think i will trust him, he says storms that area week out and hit them right on the nose. he seems to be my best bet.
  7. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Then you better let him know that hes the only one with the smarts to do it right. The rest of his union is in the can!

8. Garry

Garry LawnSite Member

There are so many variables regarding weather forecasting. Even with todays high-tec equiptment, any prediction more than 72 hours in advance is nothing short of educated quessing. One only has to look at the recent storm here in the Northeast to see this theory in action.
  9. jimsny

jimsny LawnSite Member

THAT'S IT... THAT'S IT!!! Kutnkru... your my HERO!!! That is the site I used too get to from Yahoo!

Thanks for your help!
  10. iowastorm

iowastorm LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

As a forecaster, the NCEP links posted above are the real 'reliable' sources for long range outlooks. I wouldn't bet the farm on them either. There are some private sources too, but again, it's hard to forecast 72 hrs, let alone 3 months.