1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

in search of pickup

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by ercrvs24, Jun 30, 2005.

1. ercrvs24

ercrvs24 LawnSite Member

Right now I use a 95 Bronco 351 for pulling the trailer. I like it because its got plenty of power and short wheelbase. But I need to get a pickup as well. I have a mazda b2000 4 cyl., but that won't cut it. I was looking at a 95 dakota 4x4 v6, and a 92 Dakota. Anyone have any experiance with either of these? Good choices? thanx

ZOO YORK LawnSite Member

the best advice i can give you is to get a 3/4 ton or 1 ton pick up with a diesel or v8 gas motor. the smaller trucks are nice as they get good milage and are a bit smaller but with the heavier truck you can haul and tow a lot more.
  3. ercrvs24

ercrvs24 LawnSite Member

I agree with you in the bigger truck being better, however, in my price range, the big trucks have already been beat to hell. I want a truck that is presentable and dependable, definately don't want to be stuck with dead truck and trailer full of equipment.

ZOO YORK LawnSite Member

if you sell the bronco and mazda im sure you will have enough to buy a decent 3/4 ton truck. if not then go ahead with a smaller truck im sure itll do ok for you. i just always think bigger is better when it comes to our line of work
  5. ercrvs24

ercrvs24 LawnSite Member

I agree, but the Bronco's too much fun! thanx
  6. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Come on down to NC and buy my '95 F-250. Got to get a smaller truck before college starts back.
  7. Jcs Lawn and Landscape

Jcs Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Member

those dakotas are junk my dad had a 93 dodge dakota and the distrubuter went on it twice the fuel pump then the timing chain went at 70 000 miles and then he just junked it and got a dodge ram 1500
  8. ercrvs24

ercrvs24 LawnSite Member

Thanx for the heads up! Don't want to buy a POS truck.
  9. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

my first truck was a 98 dakota. I put 30k miles on it my first year, without needing any repairs. It was just gas, oil, go.

however depending on the size trailer you get you will need something bigger, or the dak might fit. I pulled a 5x10, 6x14, and 7x16 ft trailers with my dakota, let me tell ya, It wasnt smart. none of the trailers had brakes, they were loaded with a 48" and 50" dixie, and it had a v6.

Then I wised up (at least I thought) and bought a 1/2 ton... nope after 6 months and 2 trannys I sold it and bought a 2500HD with a plow and warranty.

so with all this said, do all you can to get a 3/4 or 1 ton. eventoully you will need it, trust me.
  10. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

It is best if you can get a big truck with a big V8, but like you I had to get a smaller full size truck. My long wheel base tundra with the V6 will tow a load with no problem and get 17MPG in town with the AC on. Too bad I got to sale her though.