In search of the perfect ZTR?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by trimmer, Jun 22, 2000.

1. trimmer

trimmer LawnSite Senior Member

I have recently purchased a Toro Z-Master 44&quot; 17hp with the recycler kit. It has 56hrs on it and I am not to happy with it. It is to hard to back up and go forward the steering levers are stiff. When turning it dosen't cut a little strip. The deck blows out a ton of grass all over you, you look like a big grass clump when you get done. I will have to double cut lawns that are thick. What I am in search for is the perfect mower I have looked at the walker it is very easy to manuver and with the one inch overlap on the blades it could solve my prolem but I think I would rather have a mid-mount. I have heard a lot about dixie choppers and there mulch to side discharge would be great I haven't ever really looked at them real close though maybe I should but they look bulky. Well any way I am looking into another mower and what I would like to know is what you like and some of the features you like about it any help would be greatly appreciated. <p>Exquisite Lawn Services<br>Central Floridia<br>Where the grass is tough!

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I have finally found what may be the perfect ZTR for me. It is a used (117 hrs.) Dixie Chopper XW2200-60 for $4k. The local Dixie dealer had to repo it and all they want is what is owed on it. Is this a good deal or what?

3. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Trimmer, I'm a Grasshopper man but before you give up on the Toro have your dealer (it's still under warranty) check the engine rpm and the belt tension on that deck. A buddy of mine had the same problem and found that the engine was set 300 rpm too slow. Got it adjusted and the problem was solved.

4. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Richard, if that mower is truly only $4000 then I would buy it in a second. Check it over or get an independant mechanic to check it over. We all know you get what you pay for and most dealers don't just pass up on another $1500 that they could make. Don't believe their stories, check that Dixie out good.

5. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Trimmer-What type of lawns do you cut?Residential or Commercial?Let me know that would help us give you an idea of what mower would be good for you!<p><p>----------<br>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care

6. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

Try taking off the mulch kit. With tall heavy grass, good results hard to get with a mulch kit.<br>Have it checked out by your dealer. Like a previous post said engine speed might be off.<br>As for the strip of grass not getting cut.... Does this happen when you turn around?<br>If so, you just need to go a litle farther before to begin your turn. <br>You invested alot in your new mower, but give up on it $$$$$$$$$

7. trimmer

I cut all residential I need a 48-52&quot; cut I cut st.augustine and bahia here in floridia and that stuff is tough to cut I would something that has a little softer steering levers on the toro you really have to pull and push and I don't like that, that is the biggest thing.<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: trimmer

8. trimmer

I cut all residential I need a 44-52&quot; cut I cut st.augustine and bahia here in floridia and that stuff is tough to cut I would something that has a little softer steering levers on the toro you really have to pull and push and I don't like that, that is the biggest thing.

9. Jerrys Lawn Service

Jerrys Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Trimmer, we run Scag Turf Tigers with 25hp.<br>Scag has a new advantage deck that is made<br>just for the type grasses your cutting.

10. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Trimmer,I bought a new Dixie Chopper xw2500 this year and I feel a little like you right now.I love the machine,but it also burys me in grass clippings,they shoot right out the front of the deck and in your face,covering you from top to bottom,and it is very bulky for a 60&quot; machine.My head gaskets just went(surprise),and I wish it werent such a scalper,it also doesnt have any deck overhang at all,so you need to hand trim alot more than Im used to.the deck doesnt lift over 4&quot; so it hangs up on my trailer ramp,and cant jump curbs.I do not regret my purchase,but Id wont buy another one unless they improve them a bit.I feel an outfront mower is worth the trailer space it takes up,considering its benifits+ease of deck servicing.<p>----------<br>John D<br>