In The Ballpark?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Green-Pro, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Had a guy asked me if I had ever or would consider constructing a baseball field. I stopped in to gas up and asked about taking care of business grounds, wound up doing estimate for taking care of business grounds and his property, which is what I wanted in the first place, pretty sure on that one, so no questions there. I asked him exactly what he was looking for in regards to the ball fields (yes I said fields he wants two), and how serious he was. Well much to my disappointment he said he was not planning on anything right away, just looking for some info. (shopping?). I thought what the heck I could use the estimating practice so told him I would throw together some "rough" numbers for him (no printed estimate nothing really cast in stone at this point)

Well I did some research and came up with this, am I in the Ballpark so to speak or not?

Site is flat as a board, ground is used primarily for agriculture, by that I mean growing melons, sweet corn, etc. so there is an adequate amount of sand in relation to clay and silt. Looking at it seems as though there will be minimum prepping as far as raking, smoothing etc. there is no vegetation on the ground at this time.

Not positive on this one but seems to be that there would be roughly 1.65 acres as far as infield, outfield and minor peripheral areas.

Per field:

Looking at KBG-Bluemix-25 (bluegrass, rye grass, fine fescue mix) 25# bags @ $49.95 per bag, 135# per acre, 9 bags @ $449.95.

Starter fert, 50# bags of 20-20-10 @ $16.99 per bag, 15 bags @ $254.85

My labor 8 hrs. per field $400.96 (all he is looking for is practice field, backstop or fences may be added later, all I would be responsible for is site prep, diamond, field layout, seeding & fert).

Total: $1105.76 per field

Sorry for the book, and I know its rough, but as I said he seems to be maybe shopping? He's not sure when he wants to do this but did add it would have to be maintained payup So do I sound off the wall as far as estimate time wise or dollar amount? I welcome any constructive criticism.

Thanks

-Geoff

2. GetSomeGOJO

GetSomeGOJO LawnSite Member

Don't forget the irrigation system!

3. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

The last field built in my town 3 years ago from bare land to a single Little League field was $98,000.

Also remember that the base lines are a different soil, as is the pitching mound. And with irrigation you should put down a good sub-base and base before the top soil.

The is alos quite a bit of engineering to be down to do it correctly and have a level and square playing field.

Practice or playing field, it should be done right the first time.

Hope this helps.

4. Green-Pro

Again the impression I get from this guy in regards to the ballfields is Shopping, not something he intends to do right away if at all. When I pressed for details regarding the construction, i.e. backstop, irrigation, outfield fence, etc. he was pretty clear on what he wanted an estimate on from me, grade/rake & smooth, layout ball diamond seed and start fert the grassy areas, thats it. Regardless of whether he actually wants to go on with this or not, it seems a good opportunity to try estimating a different kind of project than I anticipated doing, never would have expected being asked about a ball field, but hey I like that, go ahead and challenge me :)

Thanks for the input though.

-Geoff

5. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Incrediablly low on price. Irrigation system should go in as well as all the drainage and turface that will need to be put in the skinned areas. Does he want skinned runways, more money for more work. Grass runways eaier to care for. Lot of things go into a baseball filed. Are you setting all the bases? Are you building the pitchers mound? Are you installing base pegs and home plate? Are you lining all that up? Does he want clay mound soil? How about the pads in the ground by home plate? Are you going to use the clay bricks? Get it all out on paper first before you agree to anything.

6. Green-Pro

I agree with what you are adding/proposing it would be incredibly low but please reread the post and my first reply, This guy only wants something they can play some softball on, no organized groups or anything close to it. Nothing more than prep infield and outfield to receive seed and starter fert. Seed up to what would be the dirt areas such as the pitchers mound, baselines, homeplate/battersbox, etc.

Guys thanks for the input really, I do appreciate it but read my entire post, and subsequent posts and leave out all the professional league standard ball field b.s. THIS IS NOT GOING TO BE USED AS A PRO, SCHOOL, OR CITY SPONSORED LEAGUE. Guy just wants ball fields to get up some games of soft ball.

Hope this kinda clears it up, sorry if it does'nt.

:blush:

-Geoff

7. GetSomeGOJO

GetSomeGOJO LawnSite Member

I, for one, was sort of kidding you. But seriously, Athletic fields (even a "field of dreams") are something you should lust after on cold winter nights.

Also, think about it as a field of dreams and dream big. For one thing, do you wanna build a crappy ball field, or something worth putting your name on. If you've never done irr. don't worry, suggest it anyways and if his heart/wallet starts to feel the dream, find a way to make it happen! Sell him on reel mowing his bermuda grass infield. Sell him the rye grass overseeding in the fall. In short, take him to Camden Yards in Baltimore and show him the turf of dreams!!!

8. Green-Pro

Thanks, yes if it would get to that point I would not do or promise anything unless something very explicit and descriptive were agreed upon and in written form.
    I agree with this statement very much, but given how vague this guy was and the only details I could get from him, I was merely using this as a exercise in bidding what little information he gave me. Rest assured had he said to me when I asked about bases, backstop, irrigation, drainage, etc. my estimate would have been dramatically different.

My specific question to him was what do you intend to use this for and what type, i.e. little league dimensions, high school, pro, baberuth league, etc. What I described for evaluation of estimate purposes was based upon information from my conversation with him. I really don't believe he will do this anyway, but like I said what the heck this time of year, I'll bite and see where it goes. The lawns I got :) if and when he gets serious about ball fields I would certainly be more demanding in details in order to form a solid estimate.

-Geoff

9. Green-Pro

Good points, thanks yes if it seemed as though he were serious I would try and sell him on building it bigger and better. I'm not worried about the extras, or things I've never tackled before, there are always ways to get that stuff done and it could be a great learning experience. I've got nothing regarding this in writing from him and will provide him with nothing in writing from me. If he asks for something specific when I talk to him next, well then its time to talk turkey.

Thanks

-Geoff

10. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

If it was a field as you said (even a flat one) that was used as you said for growing then it WILL have to be graded and drainage. Otherwise some kid breaks and ankle and YOU as the builder will end up responsible I promise you. To professionally (which is the only way to go) engineer and grade and set up darinage 2 Acres would probably run $25K or more. A group that we maintain several fields for just did 1 softball and 1 baseball field for normal everyday "kid" type use and for the field grading and dainage, 65 yards of topsoil, hydro seeding, sprinkler sys, and fence they paid $200K...