1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

in the beggining.......

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Oct 9, 2003.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

hey, i was just thinking about my first few customers as a lawn boy, a long time ago, and some of the dumb stuff i did. here are a few: my first lawn cutting client, i charged $15 per cut, then discounted it 10% for a senior rate. i cut his lawn 12 times for $13.50 each visit, finally i thought it would be a good idea to get paid, he insisted i was only there twice all year, i said screw it, but my wife went over and argued in the street with the guy for half an hour, and still only left with $27. then there was my first landscape job, some goldthreads, a spiral juniper. i fertilized each plant with a cup of lawn fert i had laying around, a month later they were all skeletons. then i thought i would go into the fertilizing business. picked up 8 clients. fertilized each one with a scotts drop spreader. every one of them called and complained about the stripes in thier lawn. but the real disaster happened when i went back and tried to fix it. then there was my first mulch job. i told the client he needed one yard, it would cost $30. i ended up using 4 yards for the job, for a grand total loss of $34. lets hear it boys and girls, how did your first few jobs work out?
  2. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

One of my first jobs 12 years ago, I was unloading my 18hp 42" Crapsman LT from a 6 ft wooden trailer I bought. Backing it off using 2 2x6's as ramps, one slipped out from under the wheels and the whole tractor flipped backwards and landed upside down. Fortunately I was able to jump off. That's when you look around to see who else saw it. Not a smart move.
  3. chipk1

chipk1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

How many times have we done that.:D
  4. troblandscape

troblandscape Guest

I have had jobs where it ended up costing me money to do the work, I think back on what I use to price out jobs at, and think the customers must have been looking out the window while I was doing the job, laughing :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    You lose and you learn:D
  5. X-mow

X-mow LawnSite Member

One of our first job the client was blind he fired us after about a month said we weren't cuttin the grass short enough.
    Tried to talk to him but he could still slam doors.:laugh: :laugh:
  6. Mikes Lawn Landscape

Mikes Lawn Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Getting fired by a blind guy is pretty bad
    :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:
  7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

LOL, what???
  8. X-mow

X-mow LawnSite Member

Yeah I know but we did everthing right found out the neighbors were tellin' him we weren't cuttin' the grass
  9. Black Water

Black Water LawnSite Senior Member

:laugh::cry: :laugh::cry:
  10. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Five years ago; the first time I tried to start my lawn company I had a 21" push mower, blower, trimmer and gas cans shoved in the back of a Honda Civic hatchback. Then made a ton of flyers advertising $15/week. Had a business man call me up and rip into me for destroying my own market by not charging enough. Ended up only getting 3 customers after handing out 6000 flyers.