In the Dark with a Super Z!

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Fescue Farmer, Oct 5, 2004.

1. Fescue Farmer

Fescue Farmer LawnSite Member

With the days becoming shorter, cooler nights (heavy dew in AM), and daylight savings time fixing to "fall back" on us and the fact that I will be mowing until late November-early December, I've been thinking it sure would be nice to have lights on my Super Mini Z............but not enough charging amps with the Hydro cooling fan running. So I thought that since I would only be needing lights for a handful of hours per week, couldn't i interupt the circuit sending power to the cooling fan with a simple on/off toggle so that I could run a set of lights or the factory light kit? Would this hurt the pumps? Surely not for such a short period of time, especially since the non-Super Z's do not even have a hydro cooler?

Will this work PJ, without hurting anything or voiding a warranty?

---In the dark----Fescue Farmer :)

2. theservicingdealer

theservicingdealer LawnSite Member

Would you run your car with out a fan for your radiator?? I think not.

I believe that the warr could be a real issue. The fan is there for a reason.
    Check out LCD Back up lights. These are the only thing i have found that a low amp draw. Big bucks but you cant have it all!!!

3. Fescue Farmer

Yes, I thought about LED, but have not researched it - I will try and find some info about the back up lights. A lot of mowers that I have operated in the past never had a hydro cooler with a fan; therefore I am thinking that to run the mower without the fan for brief periods might be OK, unless the hydro system is designed in such a manner that the fan is absolutely necessary, rather than a nice add-on to keep things cooler.

4. theservicingdealer

Other machines dont have fan also dont have the speed that this unit has either. The super uses much larger pumps to get this speed therfor more oil flow and heat.Heat is what kills 90% of all hydralic systems. Suggesting using the super z with out the fan is not something i would reccommend. I believe you warr could be out the window too! I think it would be wize just to get LED back up lights for $80.00 or so each. I would cheaper then paying for new pumps and wheel motors.

5. theservicingdealer

Other machines don't have fan also don't have the speed that this unit has either. The super uses much larger pumps to get this speed therfor more oil flow and heat.Heat is what kills 90% of all hydraulic systems. Suggesting using the super z with out the fan is not something i would recommend. I believe you warr could be out the window too! I think it would be Wise just to get LED back up lights for $80.00 or so each. I would cheaper then paying for new pumps and wheel motors.

6. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Do not disconnect the hydro cooler fan, we use it for a reason.
    We use larger pumps, which gives us more flow, which also increases oil temps, thus the added cooling our hydro cooler with fan gives is something you do not want to disconnect.

Pj

7. Fescue Farmer

Thanks PJ and The Servicing Dealer - I appreciate the warning and the explanation with it. It makes perfect sense and it was something I did not think about. Thats why I posted and asked here first! :)

Tell those engineers to hustle up some front blowout baffles for the Mini's! :) I am getting serious front blowout with or without a mulch kit when I close the discharge chute - I have experimented with various blades and combinations of blades and still have front blowout - I am thinking about mounting a strip of rubber along the front edge of deck or something...?

Keep up the good work and get some sleep PJ!

8. PowerHungry

PowerHungry LawnSite Member

Try a head mounted flashlight. You can buy a pretty powerful one for cheap at any discount store. Sure, you may look silly, but you'll be able to see just fine. I guarantee it!