In the market for a new plate compactor

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by cleancutccl, Mar 17, 2007.

1. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

We do mostly patios and walkways, haven't had to do many driveways but have the ability. Anyway I'm looking for a good 2-3" lift capable compactor. I've always rented a wacker 1550 and like them, but the best price I can get one is a little over 2 grand. Looking through northern tool I happened upon some of their equipment specifically the single direction with the honda gx160 engine #999331. Specs are comparable to wacker as far as compaction force, with the northern one listed as a little higher compaction force. Does anyone have one of these, do you think it would be a safe buy? I can do the wacker but for an extra grand, I'd rather hold onto the money and possible get a rammer too. Thanks alot for any info
  2. patpls

patpls LawnSite Member
    from Mn

It's always worth taking alook at ebay....
  3. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 1550 and I paid 1500.00 for it new and ransome rents. They are ok if you want to do lifts of 2". I just bought a 2950 which is twice as powerful for 2000.00 off ebay. It should get to me on Monday. The 1550's are doing nothing on Ebay. You can prob pick one up for 500.00
  4. NewHorizon's Land

NewHorizon's Land LawnSite Senior Member

We got a price for a used one at our local rent places for $800. We had rented the machine a few times and knew it was in good shape. Did not buy it though.
  5. waltero

waltero LawnSite Member

I would recommend the smaller (wacker 1550) one if you are starting out. I also have to upgrade but you will still need the smaller one for setting the pavers after sweeping the sand in, plus it is alot cheaper to buy then a larger one. I wouldn't get something bigger unless it will do at least a 4" lift and possibly a 6" lift. I think the wacker 3545 is a good size if you need to move up. I would still keep the smaller one and the larger one together, they do different jobs and if the larger one ever breaks you can still use the smaller one. Another good reason is if you run muliple jobs at one time, after the base is in with the wacker 3545, you can possibly move on to the excavation and compaction of the next job while keeping the smaller one to set the pavers. Either way you look at it, the smaller one is better to start with and then move up.

6. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

We have 2. Wacker 2540a (5,600#) for subgrade and base aggregate compaction and a Dynapac (4,000#) for smaller jobs and paver setting.

7. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Consider buying a used one from a rental place. Most rental places like to sell off their used equipment every year so they can buy new stuff. I get a lot of stuff that way, including the plate compactor we have now.

I just went to one of my rental shops and said, "Hey. Do you have any plate compactors you're wanting to sell? I am in the market to buy one and I figured I'd ask. If you were getting ready to sell one and buy a new one, maybe you could sell it to me?" And they said, "Sure. I think we could do that."

I don't know what brand it is. I never even looked really. But we got it for like $400 or $500. That was a year ago and we use it almost every week. It's worked perfectly so far with zero problems.

It's a good way to get into fairly new equipment without spending a fortune. I buy a lot of our stuff that way. And you'd think stuff from a rental shop might be pretty beat up. But my experience is that's not true. I've always got good stuff from them.
  8. neversatisfiedj

9. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

That is nice! I predict the seller will take it in the shorts on shipping though. I've shipped heavy stuff that size before and I couldn't find anyone to do it for a few hundred. Oh, UPS will tell you they'll ship it for that price. But then wait until you get to the shipping center and all of a sudden they don't ship stuff like that, or it's 3 times as much as they quoted you, etc. Only now you've already made the sell and collected the money on eBay. And you just have to take it in the shorts.
  10. neversatisfiedj

You would get it shipped LTL freight. This guy is in FL. I already spoke to him because I was going t obuy one from him. You should be able to get it shipped for a couple hundred.