In the Right?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MOturkey, Oct 10, 2007.

1. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

Scenario: We were mowing a residential customer i've serviced for 4 years. Home next door has been vacant for the past year or so, due, I think, to the death of the owner, an elderly lady. This property has been mowed by another LCO for at least as long as I've been mowing the neighbor's.

Today, my wife was mowing, and I was getting ready to trim when this blonde lady about 30 years old came walking across the yard (the kind that makes you momentarily wish you were 25 years younger and single :) )

She tells me she just moved in next door and was wondering what I would charge to mow. I walked over with her, and told her what I would charge. I mentioned I knew the house was for sale, but didn't realize it had sold. She said she was going through a divorce, and was renting as she couldn't afford a house right now, and that the owners were "kinda" related to her. She said she guessed they had been having someone mow, and I said, yes they did, but it wasn't me.

She then asked if we could mow today, and I said yes, so she wrote a check, and we mowed, and I explained when I'd be back to mow again.

Well, we finished up mowing, and as I was loading up the stuff on the trailer, my wife walked back over to give her a business card. She came back, and said the guy who apparently had been mowing was there, and sounded really ticked off, and the gal told him she already had someone to mow. My wife just turned around and left.

Funny thing is, the guy that was there isn't the LCO that was mowing this place a month ago, so I don't know what the deal is with that. I feel badly about it, but feel I did the right thing. I didn't solicit the business, and I actually thought she had bought the house when I gave her a quote, not that it would really make any difference. I'm assuming they gave her a break on the rent and told her she would be responsible for keeping the place up, so it is her business who she hires to mow.

Did I do the right thing? Just wondering what most of you think?

2. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

The way I see it is, any time a house is sold, its up for grabs. Unless you have a good relation with the previous landscaper.

Every time I had a property get sold that I worked at I made sure to ask the old owners to leave my business card inside.

3. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like a good deal to me. She came to you soo.

4. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

You did right - no worries.
    Sounds like the other LCO got cranked because he lost on a potential customer.
    By the way - if she is really hot - post a picture.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

You were fine to begin with, but just in case you are wondering, the REAL margin comes in the phrase "this blonde lady about 30 years old came walking across the yard."
    Bottom line, any time a customer approaches you, you're golden. With the exception of course - as was mentioned above, the other lco is a friend or associate. Then, advising the lco is inevitably the ethical thing to do.

6. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

It's not that you did something right, it's that you didn't do anything wrong. Your fine.

7. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

Guys thanks for the replies. Chilihead, you are absolutely correct. I thought of that after posting last night that I really should have asked if I did anything wrong. Too many hours on this old brain. :)

And, no I don't know the other LCO personally. I've never actually met him, just waved once in a while if I pass him on the road or whatever.

I'd post a picture, but I hate to think what would happen if my wife caught me taking pictures of hot, young blondes. :rolleyes: